MEMBERS DO DIFFERENT THINGS IN THE BODY
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Rom 12:3 - God has given gifts for each of us to use in the body.
2. Rom 12:4-5 - We do not all have the same function, but are connected to each other.
3. 1 Cor 12:12-14 - The many members are all baptized into one body by one Spirit.
4. 1 Cor 12:15-21 - All the parts working together make the body.
5. 1 Cor 12:22-26 - The function of each member is of importance to the body.
II. THEME: Many people doing different things in the body cause the body to function properly. Each members work is important.
1. God has given gifts for us to use in the body.
a. The gifts are given according to the grace of God (1 Cor 12:11, Rom 12:6).
b. Different people have different gifts (Rom 12:6).
2. Each part of the body has a different function:
a. like a human body with eyes, ears, tongue, hands, feet, etc (1 Cor 12:14-19, Rom 12:4);
b. and the functioning of each part is important to the body (Rom 12:21-25).
3. The individual parts working together because of love for the body cause the body to function.
a. Members are not to exalt themselves because of their gift or position in the body
(Rom 12:3, 1 Cor 12:21-26).
b. Those parts which might seem less honorable receive greater care in the body (1 Cor 12:23-24).
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
· Service is a most important function of the body. The preacher (the tongue) should not think himself more important than the one who cares for the sick (the hands) (James 1:27, Matt 25:31-46).
· Those who serve should receive more honor in the church (John 13:12-17, Matt 23:11-12).
· Men should not think they are more important than women (Gal 3:28, Mark 16:1-9, Matt 27:55, Luke 8:2-3).
· Sincerity, faith, and love are values possessed by those who are truly important in the body (1 Tim 1:5, Tit 2:11-14, Rom 12:1-2).
· Those members who are well should give help to those members in distress (2 Cor 2:5-8, Gal 6:1-2, Jam 5:19-20, 1 Pet 4:8-10).
· Those who have must share with those who have not (James 2:14-17).
IV. MEMORY VERSES: 1 Cor 12:24-25 - “But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.” (NIV)