ALL MEMBERS OF THE BODY ARE IMPORTANT
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Rom 12:10 - We should prefer one another in receiving honor.
2. Rom 12:16 - We should associate with the humble.
3. 1 Cor 12:21-22 - All the members of the body are needed.
4. 1 Cor 12:25-26 - Members of the body should have the same care for one another as
II. THEME: All members of the body are necessary and important to the proper functioning of the body. Those members thought to be less honorable are to receive greater honor. Members should have the same care for one another.
1. All of the members of the body are needed for the proper functioning of the body.
a. We cannot say to another member that he is not needed, when in fact, he is very important (1 Cor 12:21).
b. The weaker members of the body may seem less needed, but they are truly indispensable (1 Cor 12:22).
2. God does not want there to be any divisions within His body.
a. Each member should have equal concern for all of the other members in the body (1 Cor 12:25).
b. We should suffer and rejoice with all the members of the body as they suffer and rejoice (1 Cor 12:26).
3. In the body, we should want others to receive honor above ourselves.
a. This desire for others should be a result of our love for each other (Rom 12:9-10, Phil 2:1-2).
b. Seek to give preference and honor to other members of the body, rather than being selfish (Rom 12:10; Phil 2:3-4).
4. Pride is the downfall of brotherhood, so live in harmony with one another, seeking even those of low position in the world.
a. A member who is conceited or proud will cause great disharmony within the body
(Rom 12:3, 16).
b. Each member should be willing to receive and visit with those of lower positions/castes
(Rom 12:16, James 4:10).
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
· We need to look for opportunities to reach out to others, especially those who may be often overlooked (Luke 5:30-32).
· We should open our homes to strangers and the uninvited who stand alone (Heb 13:2, Matt 22:9-19).
· We should go visit those in prison and those in need of caring because they are in need (Matt 25:34-39, Heb 13:3).
· We should reach out to those who are in spiritual danger (1 Pet 4:8, Jude 1:22-23, Gal 6:1-2).
IV. MEMORY VERSES: Rom 12:9-10 - “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.” (NIV)