MEMBERS OF THE BODY ARE FREE FROM CONDEMNATION
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Rom 8:1 - Being in Jesus delivers us from condemnation.
2. Rom 8:2-4 - Through Jesus the law of the Spirit of life sets us free from the burden of sin.
3. Rom 8:5-9 - Living according to the basic human nature produces death.
4. Rom 8:10-11 - When Christ is in us we have His righteousness and life.
II. THEME: There is no condemnation in the one body, because the law of the Spirit of life in Jesus Christ has set us free from the penalty of sin.
1. Being in Jesus delivers us from the condemnation of sin.
a. We are members of His body, and redeemed by His blood (Rom 8:1, ††† 1 Pet 1:18-19, Rev 5:9).
b. Jesus paid the debt for our sin (Rom 8:32-34).
c. We are continually cleansed by His blood (1 Jn 1:7-9).
2. The law of the Spirit of life in Jesus sets us free from the law of sin and death.
a. We are forgiven our sins in Jesus, so that the law of sin and death no longer has power over us (Rom 8:2, 7:5-6, 5:20-21, 6:23).
b. The power of sin is separation from God, and as long as we are in the body of † Jesus, we cannot be separated from Godís love (1 Cor 15: 56-58,Col 1:21-23, Rom 8:37-39).
3. Living according to the flesh produces death.
a. The fleshly mind is set on things that cannot satisfy or give life (Rom 6:19-23, 8:5-7, Col 2:16-23).
b. Love of this world is against the love of God (Rom 12:2, Eph 2:1-3, James 4:4).
c. We do not have the power to make ourselves righteous by our own actions (Rom 7:5, 15-24).
4. Being in Jesus and having Godís Spirit living in us gives us life.
a. We are made complete in Christ (Col 1:27-29, Rom 3:24-26).
b. The Holy Spirit in us is our guarantee of salvation (2 Cor 1:19-22, Eph 1:12-14, Rom 8:16-17).
c. The Spirit leads us to salvation (Rom 8:11-14, 1 Cor 12:13).
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS:
∑ We need to understand that we are freed from condemnation in Jesus. No matter what our sins, they are covered by the blood of Jesus when we are faithful in Him. Fear is gone when we come to understand the love of God that gave Jesus as an atonement for our sins (1 Tim 1:9-16, 1 Jn 4:13-19).
∑ We need to know that we are justified by our relationship to God in Jesus, and not by our ability to keep laws. If we try to justify ourselves by keeping some rules that we make, we will become trapped in sin and become unfruitful for any good work (Titus 3:3-8, 1 Pet 1:3-9).
∑ Godís Spirit living in us will produce joy and peace in our lives (Gal 5: 22-23).
IV. MEMORY VERSE: Rom 8:1-2 - ďTherefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.Ē(NIV)