THE WORK OF AN ELDER
Acts 20:28-35 - 1 Timothy 3:1-7 - Hebrews 13:17 - Ephesians 4:12 -1 Timothy 5:17-19 - James 5:14-16 - 1 Thessalonians 5:14-15 - Titus 1:5-9 - 1 Peter 5:1-5
I. CHURCH RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Keep Watch Over All The Flock (The Congregation) - Acts 20:28; 1 Peter 5:2
1. Example of the work of a shepherd (as applied to Jesus) - Luke 15:3-7
2. As shepherds, and overseers (against savage wolves) - Acts 20:28-29
3. By being on their guard - Acts 20:31
4. By helping the needy (and weak) - Acts 20:35
5. By giving them an example to follow - 1 Peter 5:2
6. By feeding the flock (teaching by word and example) - 1 Tim. 3:2; 5:17; 1 Peter 5:2
7. Willingly - 1 Peter 5:2
8. Not in a domineering way - 1 Peter 5:3
9. By remembering and modeling the example given by Jesus in John 10:1-18.
B. Shepherd And Govern The Congregation - Hebrews 13:17; 1 Tim. 5:17
1. Although one is a shepherd and leader, he must not Lord it over others -1 Peter 5:3
2. An elder (as bishop or overseer) is a steward of the things to which God has entrusted him - Titus 1:7
C. In Summary, It Can Be Said That The Elders (Bishops Or Shepherds) Are Responsible For The Spiritual Well-Being
Of The Congregation (And Every Member Of The Congregation). As Bishops, They Have To Direct The Congregation
Without Lording Themselves Over Her. As Pastors, They Have To Lead, Take Care Of, Feed, And Protect The
II. APPLICATION FOR TODAY'S CHURCH
A. It Is Easy To Find Brothers That Would Like To Give Orders Or Be Bosses Of A Church, Governing By Force. But
The Biblical Concept Is Rather That Of A Guide, Someone Leading By His Example.
B. Bosses Look For A Way To Protect Their Authority; Guides Look For A Way To Fulfill Their Responsibility. Chiefs
Want To Make Rules And Decrees; True Leaders Want To Live A Life Committed To The Lord And Help Others To
Do The Same.
C. Christians Will "Follow" Chiefs If They Have No Other Choice, But They Willingly Follow Those That Function As
D. The Church Of Today Has A Great Need For Biblical Leaders (Elders). They Should Be Strong And Firm, Not To
Lord It Over Others, But Because The Work Is A Great And Difficult One.
MEMORY VERSES - 1 PETER 5:2-3
QUESTIONS - LESSON 3
1. What is the basic work of an elder?
2. Should an elder function more as a boss or as a guide?