CHARACTERISTICS OF A DEACON
1 TIMOTHY 3:8-13 - ACTS 6:1-7 - PHILLIPIANS 1:1 - ROMANS 16:1-2
The Characteristics Of Deacons Are Basically Similar To Those Of An Elder: Men Respected By All (Note 1 Tim. 3:8). As That Of An Elder, The Work Of A Deacon Is Considered To Be Very Important (1 Tim. 3:13). Why? Because What Deacons Do Is Serve The Saints (The Church), Ministering To Their Needs.
I. ACCORDING TO 1 TIMOTHY 3:8-13, THE DEACON:
II. ACCORDING TO ACTS 6:1-7, THE DEACON IS:
A. The Example Of Phoebe - Romans 16:1
1. The Greek word used in Romans 16:1 can be translated as "deaconess" or "servant." Therefore, it is possible to
understand its use in this passage in an "official" sense or in a more common way that does not refer to a position.
2. Therefore the example of Phoebe opens the possibility of "deaconesses" without proving their existence in the
B. 1 Timothy 3:11
1. In this passage the word can be translated as "wife" or as "woman." If the meaning is wife, the reference is to the
wives of the deacons. If the correct meaning is "woman," then the reference would be to deaconesses.
2. In either case it is evident that the women did works of service.
3. What seems most important here is that it is understood that the work of a deacon is service. At times one will have
to make some decisions, but the work is not that of directing others, but of serving others. If a congregation were to
have deaconesses, this could not violate the principle of male spiritual leadership. If a congregation only has deacons
(males), this should not keep the women from performing works of service, perhaps guided by the deacons.
IV. APPLICATION FOR THE CHURCH
A. Deacons Are Servants Who Carry Out Many Manual Tasks That Often Imply Even Larger Responsibilities. In Acts 6
They Had To Administer The Situation To Prevent Further Conflict. Deacons Are Frequently The Human Force That
Accomplishes Most Of The Work Of The Church.
B. It Is Important To Remember That One Can Be A Deacon And Still Work In Other Areas Distinct From What Would
Be Called Service Or Administration. One Can Be A Deacon, For Example, And Actively Participate In Evangelism At
The Same Time. Such Is The Example Left By Stephen In Acts 6:8-15 And 7:1-60.
QUESTIONS - LESSON 4
1. Basically, what is the work of a deacon?
2. T F A deacon can also be involved in the spiritual works of the church.