Love In The Christian Family
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 1 Jn 4:16 Ė God is love, and living in Him causes us to love each other.
2. 1 Cor 13:4-8 Ė This tells how love behaves. Love never fails.
3. Gal 5:22 Ė Love is the fruit of Godís Spirit in us.
II. MAIN THEME Ė Godís commandment to love others as we love ourselves, and to do to others as we want to be done to us, also applies to marriage relationships. Godís Spirit in us encourages us to love each other, and love never fails.
1. Husbands are to love their wives.
a.†††† Husbands should love their wives as Christ loves the church, Eph 5:25-29.
b. Husbands show their love by sacrifice, 1 Pet 3:7.
c. Husbands show their love by work, 1 Tim 5:8, 1 Thes 4:11-12, 2 Thes 3:10.
2. Wives are to love their husbands.
a. Wives should be friends to their husbands, Tit 2:4-5, Eph 5:33.
b. Wives are to submit to their husbands, Col 3:18, Eph 5:22-24.
c. Wives are to be a good example, 1 Pet 3:1-6.
3. Children are to love their parents.
a. Children should obey and honor their parents, Eph 6:1-3.
b. The law had a terrible provision for rebellious children, Deut 21:18-21.
c. Children are to provide for their parents in their old age, Ex 20:12, Eph 6:2.
4. Parents are to love their children.
a. We should love like the father in the parable of the prodigal son, Lu 15:11-32.
b. We should make provision for our children, 2 Cor 12:14.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We desire to love our family members because God loved us, and showed us the meaning of love. If we love God, we will love each other, 1 Jn 4:16.
2. We need to study the attributes of love, and practice them in our families, 1 Cor 13:4-8.
3. Godís Spirit works in us, encouraging us to love each other, Gal 5:22. We need to submit to the influence of God in us, knowing His revealed will.
4. Love should always be the motivation for our actions. We may not get the results we expect, but things will work out according to Godís will, if we love Him and are his children, 1 Cor 13:8, Rom 8:28 30
††††††† IV.† MEMORY VERSES Ė 1 Cor 13:4-8.