Selfishness Is The Enemy Of The Family
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Jam 3:14-15, Eph 4:17-19 – Worldly wisdom is self-seeking.
2. Jam 3:17-18 – God’s wisdom is gentle, willing to yield.
3. Jam 4:4 – Selfishness, friendship with the world, makes us enemies of God.
4. 1 Cor 13:4-7 – Love does not seek its own.
II. MAIN THEME – Selfishness is the enemy of the Christian family. It causes family members to be inconsiderate of each other. It destroys harmony.
1. Selfishness is thinking and acting like the world, Jam 4:1-4.
a. Lustful desires for temporary things causes family members to make wrong choices, Gen 3:6, Jam 3:14-15, 4:1-3.
b. Hatred, envy, and jealousy destroy family peace, Tit 3:3.
2. Selfishness causes many different problems in the family.
a. It sometimes causes murder, Gen 3:7-12, 16-19.
b. It sometimes brings quick judgment, Act 5:1-11.
c. It brings ruin to the family, 1 Sam 2:12, 3:12-14, 4:17.
d. It caused problems in Jesus’ “family,” Mat 20:20-28.
3. The cure for selfishness is love.
a. We are to live for Jesus and others, 2 Cor 4:14-17.
b. We are to put on the new man, Eph 4:23-29.
c. Our acts of kindness, love, and forgiveness will build each other up, Eph 4:30-32.
d. Jesus showed the way to love, Act 20:35, Jn 19:25-27.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. God blesses all kinds of unselfish giving, Mat 5:7-9, Act 20:35, Luk 7:44-48, Act 4:32-37.
2. We should seek God’s wisdom instead of man’s wisdom. Man’s wisdom puts emphasis on temporary things, Jam 3:14-15, 4:1-4. God’s wisdom puts emphasis on eternal things, 1 Cor 2:7-9, Col 1:9-10.
3. Realize that selfishness in the family causes evil and quarreling, and also makes the selfish person an enemy of God, Jam 3:16, 1 Jn 2:15-17.
4. Instead of thinking selfishly, think about things that are good, Php 4:4-9.
5. Do kind deeds for family members, 1 Cor 13:4-8, Jam 3:17-18.
IV. MEMORY VERSES – Jam 3:16-17