THE BELIEVER'S REST
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Matt 11:28-30 - Jesus promises the believers rest and invites us to follow Him
2. John 14:1-6 - Jesus has gone to prepare a place of rest for the believers
3. Romans 10:12-17 - We must hear, believe, and obey the gospel to enter our rest.
4. Galatians 6:9-10 - We can enter our rest if we do not faint, but continue in doing good
5. Romans 6:17-18 & 23 - When we obey Jesus from the heart, we receive the promise of eternal rest
6. Colossians 1:10-14 - Because He has redeemed us, we should walk worthy of Jesus, trusting His power
II. MAIN THEME: Hebrews 4:1-13 - The rest that we seek is eternal life in heaven. This can be attained only by believing and trusting Jesus in this life. Obeying the gospel of Christ and trusting His power in our lives gives us the promise of entering our eternal rest. We must work now to have rest in eternity.
1. We need God's help to enter the promised rest, we must trust in Him - verses 1-11
a. Many fail to enter because of unbelief - verses 1-6; Heb 3:12,
b. The promised rest is not a physical inheritance in this world - verses 7-9
c. Diligence is required to enter the rest - verses 10-11
2. Jesus Christ as our High Priest has the power to help us meet every need - verses 12-16
3. The role of the gospel in our entrance into the promised rest
a. The preaching of the message of Jesus Christ is what produces faith - Heb 4:2; 1 Cor 1:19-21;
Romans 10:16-17; 1 Cor 15:1-4
b. Only those believers who work will enter the rest - Heb 4:11; Matt 25:14-30; Phil 2:12; Titus 2:14
c. We are not able to enter the rest without trusting God - Eph 2:4-10; Heb 4:16
4. We must trust God in several ways
a. We must obey the gospel - Luke 24:47; Acts 17:30; Mat 10:32-33; Mark 16:16; Rom 6:17; Heb 5:9
b. We must live lives dedicated to following Jesus - Matt 6:33; 1 Cor 15:1-4; Heb 4:11; Romans 12:1-2
c. We must remember to trust the power of God - Heb 4:16; 2 Cor 1:8-10; 12:8-10; Phil 3:10
1. We need to be serious about preparing to enter our rest - Heb 4:1, 11-12. Jesus expects us to be hard workers to keep on trusting God's power in our lives, and not giving up - Phil 2:12.
2. We must look to Jesus for our example. He shows us the way to enter our rest - John 14:1-6; Matt 11:28-30.
3. Trusting God's power is the only way we can be successful. Jesus has all authority in heaven and on earth, and He is able to meet our every need - Heb 4:16; 1 Cor 10:11-13.
4. Being faithful until death is the way to make our rest sure - 1 Cor 15:58; Gal 6:9; Rev 2:10
5. The more we labor the more we will enjoy our rest - Rev 14:13; Ecclesiastes 5:12; 1 Tim 4:8-10
IV. MEMORY VERSES: HEB 4:9-11