THE HEAD OF THE CHURCH
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Matthew 28:18-20 - Jesus claimed all authority in heaven and on earth.
2. Matthew 16:18 - Jesus claimed that the church belonged to him.
3. Ephesians 1:22-23 - Jesus' body is the church and he is the head of it.
4. Colossians 1:15-18 - He has the first place in all things, including the church.
II. MAIN THEME - When Jesus rose from the dead, he came back to establish his church. The church is the body of people
who believe and obey him, following him as their Lord. The church is best exemplified by a physical body with Jesus being
the head, having control over the movements of each part of the body.
1. Jesus has all authority and power.
a. He has been given this authority by God - Matt. 17:5; 28:18
b. He rules all things - Eph. 1:20-21; 1 Cor. 15:20-28; Rev. 1:5
2. Jesus is called the Head of the church - Eph. 1:22-23; 5:23-24; Col. 1:15-18
3. Jesus (God) sets the order of the body - the church.
a. He arranged everything in the body the way he wanted - 1 Cor. 12:18
b. Each gift within the body is given by God - Rom. 12:3-8
c. Leadership roles were created by Jesus - Eph. 4:11-13
4. Jesus is the standard which all seek to attain in the church.
a. We want to measure up to the fullness of Christ - Eph. 1:23; 4:13
b. We find our fulness (reality) in Christ - Col. 2:6-10, 17
c. The body grows as it remains connected to the Head - Col. 2:19
5. The Head sets an example for the members of the body.
a. In unity of mind - 1 Cor. 1:10; Phil. 2:1-5
b. In love of others - 1 Pet. 1:22; 3:8; Eph. 5:1-2
c. In willingness to obey - Luke 22:42; John 4:34; Heb. 5:8-9
1. On the cross, Jesus could have used power to demand people's respect; instead, he appealed to the hearts and minds of
people - Matt. 26:52-54; 27:54. In a sense, within the church, he appeals to the hearts of people to follow his ways,
rather than force Christians to obey him - John 15:10-13; 1 John 5:1-3
2. Jesus was a leader. He did things first and expected his followers to learn from his example- John 13:12-17. Christian
leaders should learn this lesson; they first should be servants, caring for others - 1 Peter 5:1-4.
3. The concept and activities of church are worthless, unless the members are focused on Jesus as their source of all things
good - Heb. 12:1-2; Col. 3:1-4. A body without a head is dead! A body not directed by the head is chaotic!
IV. MEMORY VERSE: Colossians 1:18