I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Isaiah 7:14 - Immanuel to be born of a virgin.
2. Psalm 2:7 - God predicts that He will have an anointed son.
3. Matthew 1:18-25 - Jesus was born to be Immanuel.
4. Philippians 2:5-11 - Jesus left heaven to come be with man.
II. MAIN THEME - Immanuel means "God with us." Jesus existed as God, but he was willing to come to earth and live in
human form, in order to reveal God and to save mankind. This is how God is with us - through Jesus!
1. Prophecy predicts that God would come to be with mankind.
a. Isaiah 9:6-7 - God would come in the form of a child.
b. Isaiah 7:14 - He would be born of a virgin and be called Immanuel.
c. Psalm 2:1-9 - He will be described as God's son, the anointed one.
2.The prophecy about Immanuel was fulfilled in the birth and life of Jesus.
a. Jesus was born of the virgin, Mary, - Matthew 1:18-25
b. Jesus pre-existed as God, but came in human form - Phil. 2:5-8
c. Jesus was called God's son by the Father - Matt. 3:17
3. Jesus showed himself to be God (with us) by:
a. His miracles - John 3:1-2; 5:19; 10:25,37-38; 20:30-31
b. His teachings - Matt. 7:28-29; John 7:16-17; 12:49-50
c. His love - John 3:16; 15:9,13; Rom. 5:6-11; see gospel stories
1. Though in human form, Jesus' deity shown through clearly so that many were awed by him - Matt. 7:28-29;
Luke 7:16-17; Mark 5:18-20
2. When we know Jesus, we also know God the Father - John 1:18; 14:6-11; 2 Corinthians 4:6; Colossians 2:9
3. Jesus' humanity was necessary for him to understand his people, so that he can fully help us - Heb. 2:14-18;
4:14-16; Phil. 2:5-11
4. Though he has returned to his heavenly position, Jesus remains "God with us" by his continual service to us –
Matt. 28:20; Heb. 7:25; 1 Tim. 2:5; 1 John 2:1
5. We should live as "God with us" to others - Ephesians 5:1-2
IV. MEMORY VERSE: Matthew 1:23