SHEPHERDING THE CHURCH
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. John 21:15-17- Feeding Jesus' sheep is a demonstration of love for Him.
2. John 10:1-16- The good shepherd is willing to die for the sheep.
3. 1 Peter 5:1-5- Elders are examples and should be followed.
4. Hebrews 13:7, 17,24- Christians should obey our leaders.
5. 1 Timothy 5:17-20- Elders are to be honored.
II. MAIN THEME: Feeding God's people with spiritual food is a demonstration of our love for Jesus. Jesus calls older men to serve as leaders of the church, and they should be honored as God's servants. Elders should love the church and be willing to give their lives for its good.
1. Jesus is the Chief Shepherd and example to church leaders.
a. He was willing to die for the church, John 10:11-17, Ephesians 5:25-29.
b. Jesus told one who loved him to feed His sheep, John 21:15-17.
c. These things were written for our examples, 1 Corinthians 10:11; 11:1.
2. Elders are examples to the church.
a. Their motive for leading is the well being of the church, 1 Peter 5:1-4.
b. Their reward is an eternal crown of glory, 1 Peter 5:5.
3. Elders are given oversight of the church.
a. To speak the word of God to the flock, Hebrews 13:7, Titus 1:9.
b. To watch out for the spiritual life of the flock, Heb 13:17, 1 Tim 3:1-2.
4. Members are to submit to the oversight and leadership of the elders.
a. Especially those who labor in the word and doctrine, 1 Timothy 5:17-18.
b. Elders are responsible for overseeing what is taught, Acts 20:28-31.
c. Teachers with bad motives must be stopped, Titus 1:9-11.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS:
1. Christians should respect and obey those who have been given spiritual oversight
of the church, 1 Timothy 5:17-18, Hebrews 13:17.
2. Men should desire the work of service of leading the flock because:
a. It demonstrates our love for Jesus, John 21:15-17.
b. It will give an eternal reward, 1 Peter 5:5.
3. The teaching of God's word is the foundation of leading the flock., Titus 1:9,
4. We must be careful about bringing charges against God's shepherds,
1 Timothy 5:1,19.
IV. MEMORY VERSE- ACTS 20:28.