THE FUNCTIONING BODY
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Ephesians 4:15-16- Every member of the body does his part to build up others.
2. 1 Corinthians 12:12-21- Everyone is needed in the body.
3. Romans 12:3-21- Good attitudes between members produce harmony.
4. 1 Corinthians 13- Love is the motive that leads members to maturity.
5. Matthew 25:14-30- Failure to function will cause loss.
II. MAIN THEME: The body of Christ, the church, is designed by God to function in a way to glorify Jesus and to be a witness to the world of His power and love. Each member of the body is important to the work of the body, and love of God and love of each other is the bond that causes the body to work effectively.
1. Christians should build each other up in faith and love.
a. Each part should do its share, Ephesians 4:15-16.
b. Members should use their gifts to minister to each other, 1 Peter 4:10.
c. Members should pursue things that edify others, Romans 14:12-19.
2. The body is designed to do good works.
a. Christians are to be zealous for good works, Titus 2:14, 3:1,8,14.
b. Pure religion includes good works toward the helpless, James 1:27.
3. Proper attitudes are necessary for proper functioning within the body.
a. We need to have the mind of Christ, Philippians 2:1-16.
b. Without love nothing will be accomplished, 1 Corinthians 13.
4. Members who function properly within the body will be rewarded.
a. We will receive praise from Jesus, Matthew 25:14-30.
b. God will help us because we are trusting Him, Philippians 1:16, 2:13.
c. Good works done to other Christians are counted as done to Christ,
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We should never think that we are better than another member of the body.
a. We are all one in Christ, Galatians 3:28.
b. Don't think you are better than others, Romans 12:3.
c. Don't be high minded, 1 Timothy 6:17.
d. Humbly consider others' interests ahead of your own, Philippians 2:3-4.
2.We must use the gifts God has given us for the benefit of the body.
a. Every person's contribution in the body is important, Ephesians4:15-16.
b. When a member fails to function, it hurts the whole body, 1 Cor 12:26.
c. Remember that our purpose in the body is to glorify Jesus, Ephesians 3:21.
IV. MEMORY VERSE: 1 Corinthians 12:12