THE GREAT COMMISSION
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Matthew 28:18-20- Commanded to make disciples in all nations.
2. Mark 16:15-16- To preach the gospel to everyone.
3. Luke 24:46-48- To begin at Jerusalem.
4. Acts 1:8- To be witnesses throughout the world.
5. 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12- Paul's example in preaching the gospel.
II. MAIN THEME
Preaching the gospel is a great purpose and passion of the church. The
gospel went forth from Jerusalem into all the world, and that same responsibility
is given to the church today. Nothing is more important than preaching the
gospel to the lost so that those who believe and obey can have eternal life.
1. The great commission was given by Jesus just before His ascension.
a. His last words on earth are of special significance, Mark 16:19.
b. The great commission is found in three gospels, Matthew 28:18-20,
Mark 16:15-16, Luke 24:46-48, and Acts 1:8.
c. It is given to all future disciples, Matthew 28:19-20.
2. The purpose of the great commission is to make disciples of Jesus.
a. Disciples are made by preaching about Jesus, Acts 2:14-36.
b. As Jesus made disciples, John 4:1-39.
c. As Paul made disciples of Jesus, Acts 17:22-34.
3. The power is in the message and not in the messenger.
a. The gospel is God's power to salvation, Romans 1:16, 1 Cor 1:18-21.
b. The death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus are the primary facts
of the gospel, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, Romans 6: 3-7, 17.
c. The gospel demonstrates the faith of Jesus so that we can have faith
like His, Romans 1:17, Hebrews 5:8-9.
4. Our motive in preaching the gospel is love for the lost.
a. Our love should be like God's love, John 3:16, Romans 5:8.
b. Love constrains us to preach the gospel, 2 Corinthians 5:14-15.
c. The judgment of Christ causes us to preach, 2 Corinthians 5:9-11.
d. We must speak sincerely, 2 Corinthians 2:14-17.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We must remember that we have divine help in preaching the gospel,
Matthew 28:20, Mark 1:17, 16-20.
2. Remember to make Jesus the focus of our message, John 12:32, Acts 4:10-12.
3. We need to preach Jesus where He is not known, 2 Cor 2:14-17, 10:13-16.
4. We must give of ourselves in our teaching, 1 Thessalonians 2:1-20.
5. Remember to preach, baptize, and teach, Matthew 28:18-20.
IV. MEMORY VERSES: MATTHEW 28:18-20.