THE CHURCH ASSEMBLED
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Hebrews 10:23-25- The church is to meet together.
2. 1 Corinthians 14:23-40- The assembly is to be orderly and for edification.
3. Acts2:41-45- The example of the church at Jerusalem.
4. 1 Corinthians 11:17-34- The church takes the Lord's supper in memory of Jesus.
5. Ephesians 2:14-22- We all have access by one Spirit to God through Jesus Christ.
II. MAIN THEME: The church is to meet together to encourage each other and to stimulate each other to love and good works. The assembly is a visible statement of our faith in Jesus Christ, and the activities of the assembly are designed to edify and build up the church so that we are equipped to do the Lord's work.
1. The assembly of the church is important because:
a. The Holy Spirit says it is important, Hebrews 10:23-25.
b. We want to have the church be edified, 1 Corinthians 14:12, Eph 4:10-13.
c. We want to be like the early church, Acts 20:7, I Cor 16:1-2, Acts 2:44-47.
2. When the early church assembled, it did those things that would build up.
a. They continued steadfastly in the apostles' teaching, Acts 2:42, Jude 3.
b. They shared with each other according to need, Acts 4:34-37,
2 Corinthians 8:10-15.
c. They encouraged each other and provoked one another, Hebrews 10:23-25,
1 Corinthians 14:26, Act 14:27.
d. They prayed with understanding, 1 Cor 14:13-17, 1 Tim 2:1-3, Acts 13:1-3.
e. They took the Lord's supper and had fellowship, Acts 2:42, 1 Cor 11:17-34.
f. They practiced discipline in the body, 1 Corinthians 5:4-5, 13, 2 Cor 2:5-11.
g. They taught each other and praised God in song, Colossians 3:16,
Ephesians 5:19,1 Corinthians 14:15.
h. They shared what God was doing through them, Acts14:27-28.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We need to remember that Jesus' blood has removed the barriers between people,
and that we are united in Christ, Ephesians 2:13-22, 4:1-3.
2. Remember that our purpose in coming together is to edify, to build up, and to
praise God for the wonderful things He has done, Acts 2:42-47, 4:32-33.
3. We need to give consideration to the needs of others in the assembly,
Philippians2:3-5, Romans 12:9-10.
4. Remember that we do not assemble just because of duty, but because we love
Jesus and His church, 2 Cor 3:5-6, Romans 12:1, 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5:13-18.
IV. MEMORY VERSES: HEBREWS 10:24-25.