RESURRECTION- THE HOPE OF THE CHURCH
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. John 20:1-28- Jesus' resurrection is a historical fact.
2. John 21:1-14- Jesus proved He was physically present following His resurrection.
3. 1 Corinthians 15:1-8, 12-28- His resurrection is the source of our hope.
4. Hebrews 6:17-20- This hope is the anchor of our soul.
5. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18- The resurrection comforts us when loved ones die.
II. MAIN THEME: The resurrection of Jesus is a proven historical fact. Eye witnesses who gave their lives because of their testimony have written the testimony that produces faith in us. God's Spirit guided their writing so that their testimony is true. The power of the resurrection is the foundation of our faith and the anchor of our souls.
1. The resurrection of Jesus is historical fact.
a. He appeared to more than five hundred witnesses, 1 Corinthians 15:1-8.
b. Jesus' disciple John was one of the eyewitnesses, John 2:1-28, 21:1-14.
2. The resurrection of Jesus is the foundation of our faith.
a. Without the resurrection of Jesus, our faith is vain, 1 Corinthians 15:12-19.
b. The power of Jesus' resurrection produces hope, 1 Pet 1:3-5, Heb 6:17-20.
c. Our faith in the resurrection of Jesus is active in baptism, 1 Peter 3:21.
3. Christians need to know the power of the resurrection of Jesus, and put it to work
in our lives.
a. Though it may cost us everything, it is worth the cost, Philippians 3:7-11.
b. Through His resurrection we have victory over death, Hebrews 2:9, 14-15.
c. Through His resurrection we have hope that lives, 1 Peter 1:3-9.
4. The hope of eternal glory has the power to inspire our labors.
a. Because we want to receive our eternal bodies, 1 Corinthians 15:49-50.
b. Because we want to experience victory over death, 1 Cor 15:51-58.
5. Christians can face death bravely because of Jesus' resurrection.
a. Knowing we will be united with those we love, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.
b. Longing to see the place prepared for us, John 14:1-3, Revelation 21.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. Use the resurrection of Jesus and the promise of our own resurrection as a
source of strength and hope, Philippians 3:8-14, 1 Corinthians 15:56-58.
2. Remember that our faith rests on historical fact and is easily defended by the
inspired evidence of the bible, 1 Peter 3:15, 2 Peter 1:15-21.
3. Remember that our victory is certain if we continue our trust in Jesus,
1 Corinthians 15:57-58, Hebrews 2:9-11.
4. We should glory in our hope, because it is our anchor that gives stability in our
lives, Hebrews 3:6, 6:17-2, 1 Peter 1:3-9, 3:13-16.
5. We can face our own death, or the death of faithful loved ones, with peace in our
hearts because of the resurrection, 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18.
IV. MEMORY VERSES: 1 PETER 1:3-4.