DISCIPLINE IN THE BODY
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 2 Thess 3:11-15- Discipline is for the purpose of maintaining order in the church.
2. 2 Corinthians 7:9-11- Discipline should produce repentance to salvation.
3. 1 Cor 5:6-13- Discipline is needed to prevent the spread of sin within the church.
4. Titus 1:9-16- False teachers must be stopped.
5. Matthew 18:15-20- Jesus teaches how to handle problems between brethren.
II. MAIN THEME- Discipline is needed in the church to prevent false teaching, to call sinners to repentance, and to maintain order in the body. Problems between Christians should be dealt with following the pattern given by Jesus, and we should not let the influence of sin build up and spread within the church.
1. Purpose of discipline.
a. To make the sinner aware of his actions and bring him to repentance,
2 Thessalonians 3:11-15, 2 Corinthians 7:9-11.
b. To prevent false teachers influence in the church, Titus 3:9-11, 2 John 7-11.
c. To prevent the spread of sin within the church, 1 Corinthians 5:6-11.
2. Discipline is needed when:
a. One Christian sins against another, Matthew 18:15-20.
b. Christians lie, Acts 5:1-11.
c. False teachers cause strife or division, Romans 16:17, Titus 3:9-11,
3 John 9-11.
d. A Christian is leading an ungodly life, 1 Corinthians 5:11-13.
e. Leadership continues to sin, 1 Timothy 5:19-20.
3. Discipline should be a united effort.
a. A united effort is effective, 2 Corinthians 1:23-2:11, 7:5-11.
b. There is strength in the church assembly, Matthew 18:15-20.
4. Love is the key to success.
a. Practice discipline with love, 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15.
b. Love is essential for restoration, 2 Corinthians 2:6-8, Luke 15:17-24, 32.
c. Love is gentle in its correction, Galatians 6:1, 2 Timothy 2:24-26.
d. Love never fails, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We should show concern for each other and pray for each other, 1 John 5:14-17.
2. We should confess our faults to each other, James 5:16-20.
3. We should submit to each other and our leaders, 1 Peter 5:5.
4. We should be willing to take risks to help a brother, Jude 20-25.
5. We should be faithful to the message of Jesus, Jude 3, Galatians 1:6-9.
6. We should correct each other, James 5:19-20, 1 Timothy 5:19-20.
IV. MEMORY VERSES: 1 CORINTHIANS 5:7, GALATIANS 6:1.