THE FUTURE OF THE CHURCH
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 2 Timothy 3:11-12- All who follow Jesus will suffer persecution.
2. Daniel 2:44- The kingdom will endure forever.
3. Matthew 16:18- Satan cannot prevail in his battle against the church.
4. 2 Corinthians 5:18-20- The church must continue its ministry.
5. Ephesians 3:9-21- The church will continue to glorify God by Jesus Christ.
II. MAIN THEME- The church will stand forever, but we must expect to face suffering and persecution. Our victory is insured by the resurrection of Jesus Christ, and we must trust His strength to overcome our struggles in this life. The hope of the resurrection gives us the needed encouragement in times of trouble.
1. Struggles and suffering are certain.
a. For those who live godly lives, 2 Timothy 3:12, 1 Peter 4:1-4.
b. For those who follow the example of Jesus, John 12:23-26.
c. For those who wish to glorify God, 1 Peter 4:12-17.
2. But the church will be victorious.
a. As prophesied, Psalms 2:1-6, Daniel 2:44, Matthew 16:18.
b. As demonstrated, Acts 2:23-24, 8:1-4.
c. By the power of the resurrection, Phil 3:8-11, 2 Cor 5:1-8, 1 Cor 15:49-58.
3. The church will continue to fulfill her mission.
a. To bring the riches of Christ and the manifold wisdom of God to the lost,
Ephesians 3:8-11, Matthew 28:18-20.
b. To carry out the ministry of reconciliation, 2 Cor 5:18-20, Romans 1:16.
c. To be a light to the world, Matthew 5:13-16, Titus 2:11-15, Ephesians 2:10.
4. Christ will continue to fulfill His mission.
a. As our High Priest, Hebrews 10.
b. To perfect the believer, Philippians 1:6, 2:13, Romans 7:20-8:11.
5. Christ will return for His bride, the church.
a. So that we can be with Him forever, 1 Thes 4:13-18, Rev 19:7-10.
b. To give us our reward, 2 Peter 3:13-14, Revelation 21:1-7.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We should expect to face struggles in this life, Acts 14:22, 2 Timothy 3:12.
2. We must remember to trust God's strength, not our own, 2 Cor 1:8-10, 12:8-10.
3. We must let our hope of the resurrection be our strength, 1 Corinthians 15:57-58.
4. We need to let our hope show in our lives, 2 Cor 4:14-18, 1 Thes 4:13-18.
5. We should look forward to the appearing of Jesus, 2 Tim 4:7-8, 2 Cor 5:6-8.
IV. MEMORY VERSES- 2 TIMOTHY 4:7-8.