GIFTS' PLACE IN THE EARLY CHURCH
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Mark 16:17-18 - Jesus promised power to His apostles.
2. John 14:12 - Jesus promised that His disciples would do greater works .
3. 1 Corinthians 12:4-11, 28 - Gifts were given to individuals for the profit of all.
4. 1 Corinthians 13:8-10 - Some miraculous gifts were temporary.
5. Acts 8:12-18 - The power of miraculous gifts was conveyed by the hands of the
II. MAIN THEME: The power to do signs and wonders was given to the apostles by the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. The apostles could lay hands on Christians and convey the power to work miracles. These spiritual gifts were to be used for the benefit of the church. These signs confirmed the words spoken by the apostles.
1. Miracles had a special place in the early church.
a. To confirm the word, Mark 16:20.
b. To help spread the gospel, Acts 5:12-16, Romans 15:18-19.
c. To punish those who opposed the gospel, Acts 13:8-12.
2. The power to work miracles conveyed by the hands of the apostles would end.
a. Tongues, prophecy, and miraculous knowledge would cease, 1 Cor. 13:8.
b. After the last apostle died, there was no one to convey this power by
laying on hands, Acts 8:12-18.
c. After revelation and confirmation of God's word was completed,
miraculous gifts had served their purpose, 1 Cor 13:9-11, Jude 3, Gal 1:6-9.
3. The most important gifts of the church are still working.
a. The most important gifts are not miraculous, 1 Corinthians 12:31, 13:1-8.
b. Christian graces edify the body, Romans 12:5-18.
c. Singing encourages the body, 1 Cor 14:26, Eph 5:19, Col 3:16.
d. Love is most important of all, 1 Corinthians 13, Ephesians 4:1-3.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. Everyone in the body has some gift to contribute, 1 Corinthians 12:14-27.
2. We may excel at some gifts and should use them to edify the body,
1 Peter 4:10-11.
3. Remember that our gifts are from God, and use them to glorify Him,
1 Peter 4:10-11, Ephesians 3:14-21.
4. We must present our body in service to God, Romans 12.
IV. MEMORY VERSE- 1 PET 4:1