SON OF MAN
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Daniel 7:13-14 - Prophecy spoke of a son of man who would reign.
2. 2 Samuel 7:12-13 - David's decendant would rule forever.
3. Luke 19:10 - Jesus called himself the Son of Man.
4. Hebrews 2:14-18 - Jesus' humanity was an important part of God's plan.
II. MAIN THEME - The term "Son of Man" implies the humanity of Jesus. The Lord used this reference about himself more
often than any other description. He wanted to relate to humans so that he could better serve them. His heritage and his
physical body were constant reminders that he was a brother to those he came to save - sons of men.
1. Jesus' geneologies reveal that he was a descendant of David.
a. The legal lineage through Joseph - Matt. 1:1-17
b. The blood lineage through Mary - Luke 3:23-38
2. Jesus fulfilled many prophecies concerning the promised son of David.
a. His house established forever - 2 Sam. 7:12-12; Matt. 16:18
b. His reign established forever - Psalm 89:3-4; Acts 2:32-33
c. One shepherd for God's sheep - Eze. 34:23-24; John 10:11-18
d. He established everlasting covenant - Eze. 37:24-25; Heb. 8:6-12
3. Jesus' humanity was very important to his ministry to people.
a. He understood human thinking and feeling - John 2:25; Luke 2:52
b. He understood human temptation - Heb. 4:15; Luke 4:1-13
c. He understood human suffering and death - Heb. 2:10-18
d. Because of his humanity he is able to act as mediator and translator between God and people - Heb. 4:16; 7:25;
1 Tim. 2:5-6
4. The Jews thought the Son of Man (Messiah) would be a completely human conqueror, but Jesus revealed his divine
nature - Matt. 16:13-20; John 5:16-27
1. Jesus widely used "Son of Man" because it put him on a communicative level with humans. We need to remain in a
position of service - Rom. 12:3,16.
2. Unknowingly, Pilate said an important statement when he called for many to "Behold, the man!" - John 19:5
3. The temptations of Jesus were directed at his human and his divine characters in order to make him fall - Matt. 4 :1-11;
1 John 2:15-17
4. We believe in the physical resurrection of Jesus - John 20. This is evidence of human body and God's power to raise the
dead - Phil. 3:20-21.
IV. MEMORY VERSE: 1 Timothy 2:5