I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Psalm 2:1-12 - God's anointed one will be a king and His Son.
2. Luke 9:18-22 - The Christ would suffer, be killed and rise again.
3. Acts 2:29-36 - God made Jesus to be the Lord and Christ.
4. 1 John 5:1-5 - We must believe that Jesus is the Christ.
5. Matthew 3:13-17 - Jesus was anointed by the Holy Spirit at his baptism.
II. MAIN THEME - Christ (Messiah) means anointed one. In the Old Testament, prophets, priests, and kings were anointed
by God. Jesus was anointed by God's Spirit at his baptism to be our prophet, priest, and king.
1. Jesus is the prophet for us to hear.
a. In the Old Testament, God anointed prophets - 1 Kings 19:16.
b. God promised to send a great Prophet - Deut. 18:15,18; Acts 3:20-26.
c. Today, God speaks to us through Jesus - Heb. 1:1-4; Matt. 17:1-5.
2. Jesus is the high priest who intercedes for us.
a. In the Old Testament, God anointed priests- Exo. 28:41; Psalm 110:4.
b. Melchizedek was the pattern for Jesus' priesthood - Gen. 14:17-20; Heb. 5:1-10; 7:1-10,14-17.
c. Jesus' suffering made him a good high priest - Heb. 2:9-18; 4:14-16.
d. Jesus fulfilled his priestly duties - Heb. 3:1-2; 10:5-21
3. Jesus is the king who justly rules his people.
a. In the Old Testament, God anointed kings - 1 Sam. 9:15-16; 16:1-13.
b. God promised an everlasting king - Gen. 49:10; 2 Sam. 7:12-16.
c. Jesus-the everlasting king - Acts 2:30-35; John 18:33-37; 1 Tim. 6:13-16
4. Jesus was anointed by his Father - Luke 3:21-22; Mark 1:9-11; John 1:29-34.
1. Jesus fulfilled his role as prophet, priest, and king (Christ).
a. His role as prophet - Luke 4:16-21; John 4:17-26; Luke 9:22 (24:6-7).
b. His role as priest - Mark 2:1-12; Luke 7:36-50; 23:40-43; Matt. 20:28.
c. His role as king - Matt. 21:1-11; Matt. 28:18-20; Rev. 19:11-16.
2. Jesus' role as Messiah should be realized in our lives in Him.
a. We must let Christ speak through us, 2 Cor. 5:17-21; Col. 3:12-17.
b. We must act as priests, Rom. 12:1-2; Philippians 2:17,4:18; Heb. 13:15.
c. We can reign with Jesus, Eph. 3:14-21; Philip. 3:8-21; Rev. 2:25-28.
3. Christ is not coming back to this earth to reign - He already finished His work on earth and is reigning from Heaven –
1 Cor. 15:20-28; Col. 1:9-22; John 18:33-37; 1 Tim 6:11-16; Matt. 28:18; 2 Thess. 1:5-12; 1 Thess 4:13-18.
4. We need to show confidence in our lives because of Christ who leads us. Matt. 28:20; Rom.1:16; Philippians 4:13,19;
IV. MEMORY VERSE: 1 John 5:1