THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Isaiah 60:1-2,19-22 - The glory of the Lord is our everlasting light.
2. John 1:4-5 - Jesus' life was the light to men, dispelling darkness.
3. John 8:12 - Jesus is the light of the world.
4. 2 Corinthians 4:6 - The glory of God shines in the face of Jesus.
II. MAIN THEME - People in sin, live in darkness. It is a darkness of mind and spirit. Jesus came to earth as the light of the
world. He has come to dispel darkness by bringing understanding in mind and purity in heart. Jesus gives this light by showing
humankind the true nature of God in his own life. People do not need to live in darkness any more!
1. Darkness opposes light; evil opposes good; Satan opposes God.
a. People seek darkness to hide their evil - John 3:19-20
b. Satan's power is darkness and ignorance - Eph. 6:11-12; Col. 1:13
c. Sinners have darkness of understanding - Eph. 4:17-22; Rom. 1:21-23
d. Satan tries to destroy God's light - John 1:4-5,9; Luke 23:44-45
2. Jesus reveals the glory of God; he is the light of life to everyone.
a. By his manner of life - John 1:4; Heb. 1:1-4; 1 John 1:1-4; John 9
b. By his revelation of truth - John 1:14-18; Eph. 5:13-15; John 12:46
c. By his divine nature - Heb. 1:1-3; 2 Cor. 4:6; 1 Tim. 6:14-16
3. Light always overcomes darkness; Jesus has overcome evil.
a. By the power of the resurrection - Acts 2:24, 31-36; 1 Cor. 15:56-57
b. By the power of faith in him - 1 John 5:4-5
c. By the power of the divine nature at work in us - 2 Peter 1:3-9
1. The glory of God in the face of Jesus is not in physical form. It is not the same as the shining face of Moses. Moses' face
shone literally. The radiance of Jesus is his divine nature seen in his character, love and actions - 2 Cor. 4:6.
2. Christians should also be a light to the world - Matt. 5:14-16. Our light is not our own, but it is the treasure of Jesus within
us (2 Cor. 4:7) and it is the revelation which comes from the word of life (Phil. 2:15-16).
3. Walking in the light means that we live for Jesus. It does not mean that we are perfect or sinless, because when we walk in
the light, we are constantly being cleansed from our sins. 1 John 1:5-10
4. Whoever loves his brother lives in light - 1 John 2:9-11.
IV. MEMORY VERSE: 2 Corinthians 4:6