THE NEW HEAVEN AND NEW EARTH
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 2 Peter 3:5-13- Destruction of this world with fire promised.
2. 1 Corinthians 15:49-54- Heavenly bodies are promised to Christians.
3. Revelations 21:1-7- The faithful will be with God.
II. MAIN THEME- God has promised a new heaven and new earth where only righteousness exists, and we can live in perfect conditions forever. This is not a reworked physical earth, for it will be melted with fire and pass from existence. The new heaven and earth is a heavenly place prepared for a heavenly people who have been purchased by the blood of Christ.
1. The destruction of this present world.
a. As certain as the flood in the days of Noah, 2 Pet 3:5-7.
b. To be destroyed by fire, 2 Pet 3:10-12; Rev 20:9.
c. The physical to be replaced by the heavenly, I Cor 15:49-54; 2 Pet 3:13.
2. The nature of the new heaven and earth.
a. Only righteousness lives there, 2 Pet 3:13; Rev 21:1-7.
c. All things that hurt and destroy will not be there, Rev 21:4.
d. Eternal life will be there, Rev 21:6.
3. The heaven and earth concept
a. We live in a world enclosed by the heaven and earth, Gen 1:1; Isaiah 66:1.
b. God promised a new heaven and earth to His people of the Old Testament,
looking to the church, Isaiah 2:2-4; 65:17-25.
c. God promised a new heaven and earth to His people of the New Testament,
looking to our eternal home, Rev 21:1-5; Heb 4:9-10; 9:24; 1 Cor 15:49-54.
4. The inheritance of the saints.
a. A crown of life for the faithful, Rev 2:10; 2 Tim 4:7-8.
b. To be a child of God for eternity, Rev 2:1:7; 1 John 3:2; Phil 3:20-21;
. 5. The destruction of the wicked.
a. Eternal fire is prepared for the devil and his followers, Mat 25:41;
b. The wicked will be separated from the righteous forever, Rev 22:15; 21:27.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1.The new heaven and earth are not this world redone, but are a new dwelling
prepared for the glorified children of God, 2 Pet 3:10-11, 13; Rom 8:18-21;
2. We should live holy and godly lives, because this is evidence of our salvation,
2 Pet 3:11-12; 1 John 1:5-7; 3:1-19.
3. We should put spiritual things first in our lives, showing that our hope is in
heaven, 1 Tim 4:8, 15-16; Mat 6:33-34; Luke 12:13-21, 28-34; 16:9.
IV. MEMORY VERSES- 2 PETER 3:13-14