JESUS IS OUR SOURCE OF LIFE
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. John 5:39-40 - The purpose of the scriptures is to testify about Jesus - He is central.
2. Colossians 1:15-20 - Jesus has the first place in everything; especially, in the scriptures.
3. Galatians 3:24 - The law leads us to Christ, not vice versa.
4. 2 John 9 - The teachings about Christ lead us to the Father and the Son.
5. Romans 10:17 - Faith is the result of hearing the message of Christ.
II. MAIN THEME
Though the study of the scriptures is extremely important, we should not fail to realize that our
loyalty is to Jesus, and not to the book separate of the Savior. It is possible to place the
Bible above the Lord Jesus, hence missing the value of both in our lives. Jesus gives life.
1. Our loyalty is to Jesus. John 6:66-69
a. The Jews developed a loyalty to the temple, instead of to God - Jeremiah 7:1-8
b. We should not be loyal to the teachings, above the Teacher - Galatians 2:15-21;
2. The Scriptures lead us to Jesus. John 5:39-40
a. The Old Testament was a guide to bring us to Christ - Galatians 3:24
b. The New Testament is a message about Jesus (to teach us of Him) - 2 John 9
c. Jesus is the Word of God (He truly reveals God) - John 1:1,14,18
3. The Bible is not an end in itself. 2 Corinthians 3:4-6,17-18
a. The words have purpose, only because God spoke them - 2 Timothy 3:16-17
b. First Importance - the gospel of Jesus - 1 Corinthians 15:1-8
4. Therefore, we should study the scriptures to help us come closer to Christ (to know Him).
John 17:3; Philippians 3:7-11; John 5:39-40; Luke 24:27,44; Jeremiah 9:23-24
1. What is your purpose for reading and studying the scriptures? Examine your own heart!
You cannot fool God; He knows our hearts - Romans 2:16; Galatians 6:7-8;
2. Legalism kills - 2 Corinthians 3:4-6; Galatians 2:15-21. A person who thinks keeping law
is a way of salvation will be judged severely. We have life because we trust God's grace.
3. Any teaching, method, or philosophy that makes us depend more on ourselves and less on
Jesus will provide emptiness. Christ provides fullness - Colossians 2:6-10
4. Let the word of God make you into a workman - that is it's aim if you use it correctly; other-
wise, you will become a useless debater, arguing about empty words - 2 Timothy 2:14-16
5. Try to find Jesus in everything you study, whether Old or New Testament.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - John 5:39-40