UNDERSTANDING THE PROPHECIES
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Ezekiel 3:17-21 - Prophets of God give warning from God.
2. Ezekiel 2:8-3:4 & Revelation 10:8-11 - Prophets often use symbolism.
3. Deuteronomy 11:1-8 - Fulfillment of prophecy builds faith.
4. Revelation 1:3 - Blessings come to those who read and heed prophecy.
5. Hebrews 1:1-2 - Jesus is the great prophet that God speaks through to us.
II. MAIN THEME - God has spoken through His prophets to give guidance to His people though-
out the past ages. He now speaks to us through Jesus Christ who is the fulfillment of
much Old Testament prophecy. Not only are the prophecies connected from OT to NT,
but also Jesus and the apostles prophesied about future events.
1. Old Testament prophecies were given:
a. To predict coming events in their history - Deuteronomy 18:21-22; Daniel 2:24-45
b. To reveal the coming Messiah - Deuteronomy 18:15-19; Isaiah 7:14; 9:6-7;
c. To give warning so the people would refuse sin - Ezekiel 3:17-21
d. To build faith through the prophecy's fulfillment -Exodus 6:6-13; 10:1-2; 11:1-3;
12:29-32; Deuteronomy 11:1-8
2. Many Old Testament prophecies are fulfilled in the New Testament:
a. Especially, prophecies about Jesus - Matthew 1:18-25; 5:17; Luke 24:44-49
b. Prophecies about the church, the coming kingdom - Mark 9:1; Acts 2
c. Prophecies about the destruction of Jerusalem - Daniel 9:26-27; Luke 21:20-24
(This occurred in A.D. 70 when the Roman army under Titus destroyed Jerusalem)
3. There are many predictive prophecies in the New Testament:
a. Which warn about apostasy - 1 Timothy 4:1-5
b. Which foreshow the ultimate victory of Jesus - 1 Corinthians 15:20-28
c. Which speak of the final end of all things - 2 Peter 3:3-13
1. Prophecies have the potential for:
a. Giving us hope - the victory of Jesus.
b. Giving us confidence - the promises of God.
c. Giving us knowledge - the second coming of Jesus.
d. Giving us blessing - through the shaping of our character and faith.
2. Look for answers (fulfillment's) to prophecies within the scriptures themselves, instead of
trying to read prophecy into current events. Matthew 16:1-4
3. Jesus is the final prophet - God speaks through to us. Hebrews 1:1-2; Galatians 1:6-12
Be careful about those who claim to prophesy from God, but don't agree with Jesus.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - Revelation 1:3