HOLY SCRIPTURES ARE GIVEN BY GOD
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 - The Bible claims inspiration for itself.
2. 2 Peter 1:16-21 - The words penned by the prophets of God were made more certain by
God himself when He spoke from heaven (Matthew 3:13-17; 17:1-8)
3. 1 Corinthians 2:9-13 - God provided by revelation the message recorded in the scriptures
4. Revelation 1:1-3 - The manner in which the message was given is revealed.
II. MAIN THEME - The Bible is "inspired" by God, but it was not given to man so that we should
worship it. Only God is worthy of our worship (Matthew 4:10). How do we know that the
Bible is inspired by God? Here are some reasons for you to consider:
1. The Bible claims to be inspired by God - 2 Timothy 3:16-17; Jeremiah 1:1-3,9; Hebrews 1:1
Over 2000 times in the Bible, it is written that the Lord spoke to one of the authors.
2. The Bible is united in its theme from beginning to end - God loves everyone and He wants
to save them from the destruction due to sin (John 3:16). The Bible has 66 books that
were authored by more than 40 people over a period spanning 2000 years, and yet there
are no contradictions, proving that the Bible really has only one source - God.
3. The Bible is shown to be the word of God by fulfilled prophecy. Only God can accurately
predict what will occur in the future. The Bible is full of examples of prophecy and its
fulfillment - Deuteronomy 18:18-19 and Acts 3:22-23; Isaiah 7:14 and Matthew 1:18-25
4. The accuracy of the Bible proves that it is not only of human origin - God inspired it!!!
a. Historical accuracy - names, dates, countries, kings - confirmed by archaeology
b. Medical accuracy - understanding of the human body shows Bible to be ahead of time
c. Geographical accuracy - every place mentioned has been proven to have existed
d. Sociological accuracy - the teachings of the Bible are timeless - Matthew 7:12
5. Many, many, many more reasons - the influence of the Bible on literature and government,
the survival of the Bible when others tried to destroy it, the continued accuracy of each
translation of the Bible, the way the Bible can change the lives of people...........
1. Preach from the Bible, God's word - 2 Timothy 4:1-5; 1 Timothy 4:16 Remember that you
are speaking the very words of God, so take seriously your commission to preach.
2. Practice what you preach - obey the Word yourself - 1 Timothy 4:12-16; James 1:22-25
Allow the word of God to work in your life, so that you become what God wants for you!
3. Remember, God's word will always accomplish its purpose - Isaiah 55:11; Hebrews 4:12
4. According to 2 Timothy 3:16-17, the inspired Word of God provides:
a. Training in righteousness
b. Equipping for every good work
IV. MEMORY VERSE - 2 Timothy 3:16-17