MADE ONE BY THE BLOOD OF CHRIST
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Eph 2:11-13 - Those who were once far off are brought near in Jesus.
2. Eph 2:14-16 - Jesus removed the law of ordinances that once separated Godís people from the
††††††† people of other nations.
3. Eph 2:17-18 - People of all nations now have access to God through Jesus.
4. Eph 2:19-20 - Members of Jesusí body make up the household of God, built upon the foundation of Jesus by the message of the gospel.
5. Eph 2:21-22 - The household of God is the temple for Godís Spirit.
II. THEME: The one body of Jesus is made one by the blood of Jesus, set apart to be a temple for the Spirit of God. All who belong to Jesus are built together into this household of God.
1. People from all nations are brought together in Jesus.
a. Previously, only the Jews living under the Law of Moses were considered Godís †††††††††††† people (Eph 2:12, Lev 27:34, Exo 6:6-7).
b. Under the new covenant, all are brought together in Christ (Eph 2:11-13, Jer 31:31-34, †††† Joel 2:28-32).
c. Jesus breaks down the barriers between people and makes it possible for us to be one †† (Eph 2:14-16, Eph 3:6, Gal 3:26-28).
2. Christ is the reason we are now one body.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† a. Jesus shed the blood to purchase our oneness (Eph 2:13).
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† b. Jesus destroyed the barriers that separated us (Eph 2:14).
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† c. Jesus made peace between those who were enemies (Eph 2:15).
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† d. Jesus preached peace to those both near and far (Eph 2:17).
e. Therefore, we did not create our one body/household, but Jesus is the chief cornerstone of the temple of God (Eph 2:20).
3. Our reconciliation has two parts.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† a. We are reconciled to each other (Eph 2:14-15).
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† b. We are reconciled to God through Jesus (Eph 2:16, 2 Cor 5:18).
4. We are no longer foreigners, but we are the temple of Godís Spirit.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† a. Now we are fellow citizens of the nation of God (Eph 2:19, Phil 3:20, 1 Pet 2:9-10).
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† b. Now we make up the household of God (Eph 2:19-20, 1 Tim 3:15).
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† c. Now we are the temple of Godís Spirit (Eph 2:20-22, 1 Cor 3:16-17, 2 Cor 6:16).
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
∑ We should not look at people by mere appearances.† We should realize that anyone in Christ is a new creation (2 Cor 5:16-17).
∑ All praise belongs to God and to Jesus because it is only by Christ that we are now reconciled. Boast in the goodness of God! (1 Cor 1:30-31).
∑ Accept one another. We are now brothers, no matter what our outward differences may be, so we should hold to our brotherhood (Romans 15:7-9).
∑ Remember that our citizenship is in heaven (Phil 3:20), so do not allow the temptations of this world to draw us away from God (2 Cor 6:16-7:1).
IV. MEMORY VERSE:† Eph 2:14