THE BODY – STRENGTHENED BY GOD’S POWER
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Eph 1:1-3 - As faithful saints, God has given us every spiritual blessing in Christ.
2. Eph 1:19 - These blessings include His impossibly great power toward believers.
3. Eph 1:20-21 - That power is like the very power that raised Christ from the dead.
4. Eph 3:16-17 - God strengthens us inwardly through His Holy Spirit.
5. Eph 3:20 - His power is so great that it is beyond what we can imagine or think.
6. Eph 6:10-12 - In the power and armor of the Lord, we can even take our stand against the devil and the spiritual forces of darkness.
II. MAIN THEME: The more we understand the awesome power of God, the more we will believe in His ability and desire to do good for all; therefore the more the power of God will work in our lives – as individuals and as a church. Most importantly in this – God will then be glorified!
1. The awesome power of God is seen in Jesus:
a. who brought healing and peace to those who couldn’t be helped by people (Lk 8:43-48);
b. who brought new, but temporary, life to the dead (Lk 8:49-55);
c. who brought victory over spiritual forces of darkness (Lk 8:26-35);
d. who brought freedom to those under bondage and oppression of all kinds (Lk 4:18);
e. who brought light and truth into darkness and deceit (Jn 8:31-34, Mt 5-7);
f. who ultimately conquered the power of sin and death, proving He can do it for you! (Mt 2818-20).
2. The awesome power of God is accessible to any and all who believe in God.
a. In an environment of unbelief, even Jesus’ power was hindered (Mk 6:4-6).
b. This faith does not have to be perfect, but sincere, asking God to work as He wants (Mk 9:20-24).
c. This faith recognizes God can do anything without being physically “there” (Lk 7:1-10).
d. Faith recognizes it is not what we can or cannot do, but what God wants to do and has promised to do
e. Faith allows the power of God to work for good (Eph 6:10-12, Js 2:18).
f. Living faith is not hindered by physical, emotional or even spiritual weakness; it pursues God, as God has already pursued us (Mk 2:3-12, all of chapter 5).
3. In the end, the unleashed power of God will bring Him glory, honor and praise (Mk 2:12,
3:5-6, 4:41, 5:18-20, 32-34, 36).
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
· Fix your eyes on the men and women of faith, past and present (Heb 12:1).
· Don’t put your confidence in yourself, others, or your faith, but trust the object of our faith, Jesus Christ.
· Faith is confidence in who God is and what He wants and can do (Rom 4:18-21).
· Write to and pray for your brethren to know and access the awesome power of God (Eph 1:16-19, 3:16).
· Believe God can empower you in the inner man and you can live the life of Eph 4-6; a life that stands firm against evil, shines brightly, and ultimately brings glory to God (Eph 1-6).
IV. MEMORY VERSES - Eph 1:18-19.