"ALL AUTHORITY HAS BEEN GIVEN TO ME"
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Matthew 28:18 - The Father has given all authority to the Son.
2. Isaiah 9:6-7 - The government will be upon His shoulder.
3. Daniel 7:13-14 - The Son given dominion and glory and a kingdom.
4. Ephesians 1:19-23 - Far above all authority and power.
II. MAIN THEME - Jesus has been given all authority by His Father. Therefore His words are the ultimate authority for us, as He has given instructions for us in His kingdom.
1. God promised to give authority to His Son.
a. In the beginning, Genesis3:15, Romans 16:20.
b. Through the prophets of the Bible, Isaiah 9:6-7, Daniel 7:13-14.
2. Jesus was given authority after overcoming death.
a. After being perfected through suffering, Heb 2:10, 14-15, Phil 2:5-11.
b. For the purpose of saving God's family, Hebrews 2:10-13.
c. Jesus' resurrection proves His power, Acts 2:22-36.
3. Jesus had already demonstrated His power:
a. Over the wind and sea, Matthew 8:23-27.
b. Over physical illness, Matthew 9:1-8, 27-31.
c. Over demons, Matthew 8:18-34.
d. Over men, Mark 11:15-18.
4. Jesus is God's authority:
a. As announced by God, Matthew 17:5, Mark 9:7, Luke 9:35, 2 Pet 1:18.
b. As confirmed in the New Testament, Hebrews 1:1-4, 2:1-4, Eph 1:20-23.
c. As taught by Jesus, John 12:44-50, Matthew 7:21-29.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We must listen to Jesus because He is the One with all authority, Matthew 17:5, Hebrews 1:1-4, 12:22-29.
2. Jesus uses His authority to save God's people, so we need to have the same motivation to save the lost, Hebrews 2:9-11, Philippians 3:8-16.
3. Jesus gave some of His authority to His word to be used by His disciples, Acts 1:8, Matthew 16:18-19, 2 Peter 3:2.
4. When we teach the Word we are using the authority of Jesus, so we must be
careful to teach accurately, 2 Timothy 2:15, 3:14-17.
5. The ultimate power of salvation comes through the message about Jesus
Christ, Romans 1:16, 1 Corinthians 2:1-5, John 20:30-31.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - MATTHEW 28:18