"REPENTANCE AND REMISSION OF SINS SHOULD BE PREACHED"
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Luke 24:45-47 - Repentance and remission of sins should be preached.
2. Luke 3:7-14 - Repentance involves a change of mind.
3. Ephesians 4:17-24 - Repentance must cause us to change our lives.
4. Acts 26:20 - Preaching repentance is part of the gospel message.
II. MAIN THEME - Repentance is a change of mind that results when a person is convinced of sin by the gospel message. Seeing Jesus Christ on the cross dying for sins makes us aware of the terrible nature of sin and causes us to confront our own sinful condition. True repentance produces a changed life.
1. Repentance is:
a. A change in our way of thinking, Luke 5:17, Ephesians 4:17-24.
b. A change of action, Luke 3:7-14, Galatians 5:13-26, 2 Peter 1:5-11.
c. A result of Godly sorrow, 2 Corinthians 7:8-11, Acts 26:20.
2. We must preach repentance because:
a. People think and act foolishly, Ezekiel 33, Romans 2:18-32, 3:10-18.
b. People are separated from God by their sins, Romans 6:23, Ezekiel 33.
c. God wants us to live, 2 Peter 3:9-10, John 10:10, Acts 11:18.
3. We call people to repentance by:
a. Starting where they are, John 8:1-6, Acts 2:14-22, 17:22.
b. Showing God's love, John 8:7-11, Acts 2:24-36, 17:24-28.
c. Showing them they are sinners, John 8:11, Acts 2:23,36, 17:29-30.
d. Calling them to repentance, John 8:11, Acts 2:38, 17:30-31.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. Remember these things about people you preach to:
a. They do not know what they are doing, Luke 23:34, Acts 17:23.
b. They are destined for wrath without Jesus, Ephesians 2:1-3.
c. You were like them one time, Ephesians 2:1-3, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11.
d. God wants all to repent and live, 2 Peter 3:9-10, 1 Timothy 2:4.
2. Do not be arrogant toward those without Christ, Romans 11:18-20, Luke 9:54-56.
3. The fruit of repentance is a changed life, Romans 6:6-14, 1 Peter 1:22-2:3, 2 Peter 1:5-10.
4. Confessing that Jesus is the Son of God is a demonstration of a changed heart,
Acts 8:37, Romans 10:10, 1 John 4:2-3, Luke 12:8, John 12:42.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - LUKE 24:47