I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Matthew 28:18-20 - Make disciples and baptize them.
2. Mark 16:15-16 - He that believes and is baptized will be saved.
3. Romans 6:3-6 - Baptism involves following Jesus in a likeness of His death, burial, and resurrection.
4. Acts 2:38-41 - Those who gladly received the gospel were baptized.
5. Acts 8:34-38 - Teaching Jesus includes water baptism.
II. MAIN THEME - Water baptism is a command of Jesus for those who come to Him for salvation. Without faith in Jesus Christ, burial in water is worthless. When a person is baptized because of their faith in Jesus Christ, they put on Christ and are born into the family of God, having their sins taken away.
1. Baptism is important because:
a. Jesus commanded it, Mark 16:15-16, Matthew 28:18-19, Luke 24:46-49.
b. It was taught by the Holy Spirit, Acts 2:38-41, 8:35-39, 10:47.
c. It is done in the name of Jesus, Acts 19:1-5, 2:38.
d. It is a likeness of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus, Romans 6:3-6.
e. It reminds Christians of how we came to follow Jesus, 1 Corinthians 1:13,
Colossians 2:11-12, Galatians 3:26-27, 1 Peter 3:20-22.
f. It involves trusting Jesus for salvation, Colossians 2:11-12, 1 Peter 3:20-22.
g. It fits the pattern of the scriptures, Genesis 6:5-13, Exodus 14:21-31,
2 Kings 5:10-15, Luke 24:7, 25-26, 44-47.
2. Baptism is not:
a. A ritual washing that has power in the water to remove sins, 1 Peter 3:20-22.
b. A work that we do to earn salvation, Colossians 2:11-12.
c. Something we do because we have already been saved, Romans 6:3-6,
Acts 2:38, Mark 16:15-16.
d. Being baptized like Jesus with John's baptism, Acts 19:1-8.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. When a person believes he is saved before he is baptized, he does not follow the
pattern of Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection in baptism because Jesus was dead
when He was buried. Jesus died because of our sins, and we are to die with
Christ in baptism because of our sins so that we can be raised with Christ to new
life, Romans 6:3-6. Remember that you bury a dead person, not one who is alive.
2. Baptism is for disciples of Jesus, those who have learned about Jesus and decided
to follow Him in their lives. Teach about Jesus to produce faith in Him, and show
how baptism is related to the gospel, Mark 16:15-16, Acts 2:37-41.
3. Being baptized to please other people is a worthless act; only baptism trusting in
the saving blood of Jesus is effective because we trust what God has done for us in
Jesus Christ, Colossians 2:12, Romans 6:3-6, 1 Peter 3:20-22, Galatians 3:26-29.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - COLOSSIANS 2:12