Gods Purpose For Marriage
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Gen 2:18 God designed a suitable helper for man.
2. Gen 1:28-30 Marriage is to be fruitful.
3. Mat 22:1-4 Marriage helps us understand the nature of the Kingdom.
4. 1 Cor 7:1-7 Marriage provides strength against immorality and Satan.
II. MAIN THEME Marriage was given by God to be a blessing to husband and wife, and to society. Loyalty between
husband and wife should be like loyalty between God and his people. The care of parents for children should be like
God's care for his people.
1. In marriage, God provides companions who are meant to be:
a. Suitable helpers, to aid and defend, Gen 2:18.
b. Loyal, life-long companions, Gen 3:16, 1 Cor 7:12-14.
2. The fruitful blessings of marriage are:
a. Pleasure, Pr 5:18-19.
b. Children, Ps 127:3-5.
c. Revealed and magnified in children becoming children of God, Rom 8:18-19.
d. An understanding of God's relationship to his children, Mat 22:1-4, Eph 5:25.
3. God has blessed our battle against Satan in marriage by:
a. Providing extra help, Ecc 4:9-12.
b. Providing healthy ways to fulfill human desires, 1 Cor 7:1-7.
c. Sanctifying others through faithful spouses, 1 Cor 7:13-14.
4. God's plan for marriage has always been one man married to one woman for life, Mat 19:4-6.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. If you are unmarried and desire a wife or husband, ask for God's wisdom, and select a marriage partner who is
loyal to God, 2 Cor 6:14-16.
2. If you are married, live with your wife or husband in a way that God intends, with the wife honoring the husband,
and the husband loving the wife, Eph 5:22-33, 6:4, Pr 5:18-19.
3. Children are a blessing, and should be encouraged in Christian society. The killing of children by abortion is a
terrible sin, Jer 32:35, Gen 1:28-30.
4. Give thanks to God for your family, and be happy, Php 4:4-7.
IV. MEMORY VERSE Gen 2:18.