Relationships in Marriage
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Gen 2:18, 24 – Marriage is a blessing meant to last a lifetime.
2. Gen 3:16 – Because of sin, the marriage relationship was changed.
3. Eph 5:21-31 – Marriage is meant to be like the relationship of Jesus and the church.
4. Tit 2:4 – The wife is to be a friend and helper to her husband.
II. MAIN THEME –God designed marriage to be a relationship that would be both spiritually and physically rewarding. Each person in a family has a special relationship that helps the family to function as God intended.
1. The husband is to be head of the family, Gen 3:16, 1Cor 11:3.
a. He should lead with sacrificial love, Eph 5:22-23, 25.
b. He should not exercise leadership in a harsh way, Col 3:19.
c. He should love and honor his wife, 1 Pet 3:7, Mar 12:31.
d. He should be spiritual leader of his family, Josh 24:15
2. The wife is to help and respect her husband.
a. She was created to be a suitable helper, Gen 2:18.
b. She should respect her husband in difficult times, 1 Pet 3:1-4.
c. She should submit to his leadership with joy, knowing that such was ordained by God, Eph 5:22, Col 3:18.
d. She should be his partner in teaching others about Jesus, Act 18:26.
3. Husband and wife are to be as one flesh.
a. Therefore they love each other as they love themselves, Eph 5:28-29.
b. Therefore they do not deprive each other of the rights of marriage, except by mutual consent, 1 Cor 7:5.
c. Therefore they consider each other’s needs, and submit to each other as Christians, 1 Pet 5:5-7.
d. Therefore they should leave parents and hold on to each other, Gen 2:21-24 (but they must still honor their parents, 1 Tim 5:4).
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. Husband and wife need to be of the same mind, love, spirit, and purpose, Php 2:2. This involves both having the same attitude and heart, Php 2:5-8, and the same purpose to bring glory to God in their lives, Eph 1:6.
2. This does not mean that they must have the same opinions or do exactly the same things in their lives, Romans 14: 1-12, 1 Cor 12:12-25.
3. Husbands, help your wives to be your friends by giving them the attention they need, by giving your time and energy, Tit 2:4.
IV. MEMORY VERSES: Eph 5:31, 33.