Give Responsibility To Family Members
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Rom 12:4-8, 1 Cor 12:1-31 – God has assigned varying roles in His family.
2. 1 Cor 11:13, 1 Tim 2:8-15, Eph 5:22-23 - God has assigned varying roles and responsibilities in the physical family.
3. 1 Pet 4:10-11, Rom 12:4-8, 1 Cor 12:4 – Varying gifts, roles, and responsibilities are to be used for the good of the
II. MAIN THEME – Each family member needs to know his/her roles and responsibilities and be encouraged in them.
1. Jesus is the pattern for giving responsibility to family members.
a. He gave responsibilities in a gradual way, Mat 10:1, 5; 28:19.
b. He gave important responsibilities to uneducated fishermen, Act 4:13.
c. He gave second chances to people who failed, Jn 18:25-27, 21:15-18, Act 2:14.
2. Husbands should lead the family, and give responsibilities to others.
a. He should encourage the wife/mother to nurture the household and to do good works, Tim 5:10, 14.
b. He should encourage the wife/mother to be active in teaching the word, Rom 16:3, Act 18:26.
c. He should train his children in the word, Deut 6:5-7, Eph 6:4, Col 3:21, 2 Tim 2:2.
3. Each person in the family should do his/her part.
a. Use the gift and opportunity that is given to you, Rom 12:6-8.
b. Children are to honor and obey their parents, Eph 6:1-3, Col 3:20.
c. Family members should have a fervent love for each other, 1 Pet 4:8-11.
I. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. Use your responsibilities and gifts fully for the good of all, Rom 12:6-8, 1 Cor 12:7.
2. Nurture your children, encourage them by giving them responsibility, Eph 6:1-3.
3. Set a good example, lead by showing the way, 1 Tim 4:11-16.
4. The wife should be in submission to her husband, but this does not keep her from being a partner in teaching others, Act 18:26.
5. Wives are to submit to their husbands, husbands are to love and sacrifice for their wives, Eph 5:22-25.
IV. MEMORY VERSES – Rom 12:6-8