Live In An Understanding Way With Your Marriage Partner
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. 1 Pet 3:7 – Husbands should try to understand their wives.
2. Eph 5:23-33 – To love and care for your wife requires that you know her needs.
3. 1 Cor 7:32-33 – Marriage requires commitment.
4. Gal 3:26-29 – Remember that we all are one in Jesus Christ.
II. MAIN THEME – Successful marriage relationships require that husbands and wives understand each other, and consider
the needs of each other, in order to have joy and peace in the family.
1. God wants us to have close relationships with our spiritual and physical families.
a. God wants us to have a close relationship with Him, Jer 31:31-34.
b. Jesus wants us to have a close relationship with Him, Jn 17:3, Php 3:8-11.
c. We should desire a close relationship with our marriage partner, 1 Pet 3:7.
2. Men should know their wives in many ways.
a. Men should know their wives spiritually, Heb 10:24-25, Gal 3:26-29.
b. Men should know their wives emotionally, 1 Pet 3:7.
c. Men should know their wives sexually, Pr 5:15-20, 1 Cor 7:5.
3. Wives should be supportive of their husbands.
a. They should respect their husbands, Eph 5:22-24, Gen 24:64-67.
b. They should care for the household, Tit 2:5, Pr 31:10-31.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. We need to be like Jesus in our relationships, Jn 10:1-16, Php 2:1-11.
2. Our love of God will be demonstrated in our love for our marriage partner, 1 Jn 4:20.
3. Knowing your wife or husband in a sexual way involves respecting the needs of the marriage partner. The marriage
relationship requires understanding of the emotional and physical needs of husband and wife, 1 Cor 7:1-5,
Song of Solomon.
4. Knowledge is not enough to establish a good relationship. Love is required, 1 Cor 8:1-3, Eph 5:28.
5. Men, do not think of your wife as a servant in your household, but rather as a partner in life. Share the blessings of
God with your wife, Gal 3:26-29, Gen 2:18, 23-24.
IV. MEMORY VERSE – 1 Pet 3:7