1. Author - Paul, the apostle, who had preached the gospel in Ephesus for over 2 years, influencing all of Asia. Acts 19:1-41
2. Date - During Paul's final imprisonment in Rome, while he is awaiting death: 2 Timothy 4:6-8,12. A.D. 64-66
3. Setting - Paul wrote his final imprisonment to the church to be what God wanted them to be, particularly for the believing
Jews and Gentiles to be united in one body.
II. PURPOSE OF THE BOOK
1. Key Verses: 1:3-14 (especially vs. 6, 12, 14)
2. Purpose: To show their blessings in Christ are not just for themselves, but for the higher purpose of bringing "praise to the
glory of His grace" through both Jews (1:12) and Gentiles (1:13-14) united as God's children in Jesus (1:5).
3. To accomplish this they needed to grow in certain things:
1) Their understanding of what God had done in Jesus and in all believers: 1:15-2:10
2) The practical knowledge of the unity of Jewish and Gentile believers: 2:11-3:13
3) Their knowledge of the working of love: 3:14-21
4) Their participation in bringing praise to God's glory through their relationship to:
a. The body: 4:1-16
b. Leaders: 4:8-12
c. Christ: 4:17-24
d. One another: 4:25-5:2,15-21
e. The world: 5:3-14
f. Their spouse: 5:22-23
g. Their father or their children: 6:1-4
h. Their master or their servant: 6:5-9
i. Their spiritual opposition: 6:10-20
III. APPLICATIONS - LESSONS
1. Why have we been blessed so greatly through Jesus Christ?
1) For our own benefit, but not for that only!
2) Mainly, so that God will be praised: 1:1-14
2. If God is true, then there are no valid barriers between believers: 2:14-22
3. We need to fulfill God's purpose of demonstrating that His wisdom and power are effective: 2:11-3:21
1) By refusing any barriers between believers: 2:15-19
2) By showing genuine love to each other: 3:14-21
3) By bearing with our differences to keep peace: 4:1-3
4. How do we allow God to be glorified through us and through our relationships?
1) By coming to understand Him and His will: 1:16-19
2) By using His strength: 3:14-21
3) By doing our full share: 4:16
4) By doing the practical things taught by Paul: 4:1-6:20
5. The church works together to carry out God's purpose:
1) To reveal God's wisdom to the world: 3:10
2) To bring glory to God: 3:21
3) To build itself up in love: 4:11-16
4) To keep the Spirit's unity in peace: 4:1-3
1. Why has God blessed us? (Ephesians 1:6,12,14)
2. If God could unite Jews and Gentiles through the power of the cross (Ephesians 2:14-22) what barriers could possibly keep
believers apart today?
3. "Make every effort to keep the ______________ of the Spirit in the bond of _______________ " (Ephesians 4:3)
4. Should Moslems who become Christians be a part of the body with Hindus who have
become believers is Jesus? Should they share the same privileges and benefits?
5. Whose power can make "one body" of believers out of low caste Hindu believers and high caste Hindu believers?
(Ephesians 1:19-22; 3:20-21)
6. What are Christians to do to help bring about this unity? (Ephesians 4:16)
7. "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved as children and live a life of ____________________, just as Christ
_______________ us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." (Ephesians 5:1)
8. Are relationships among Christians important to God?
9. Match the relationships talked about in Ephesians:
_____ 1) Husbands a. the Lord
_____ 2) children of light b. the church
_____ 3) Christ c. children
_____ 4) Parents (fathers) d. wives
_____ 5) Slaves (servants) e. masters