1. Authors - Paul and Timothy, but primarily Paul: 1:1
2 Date - during Paul's early imprisonment in Rome:1:12-14; 4:22
3. Setting - While Paul is in prison, the Philippian Christians are concerned for him, so he provides some comfort to them
through his letter.
II. PURPOSE OF THE BOOK
1. Key Verses: 1:27; 2:5
2. Purpose: To encourage them to conduct themselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, that is, to live in imitation
of Christ as seen in the gospel: 1:27
1) Christ's manner of worthy conduct: 2:5-11
2) Christ's manner revealed in Paul: 1:3-13, 19-24; 2:17; 3:4-14; 4:11-13
3) Christ's manner revealed in Timothy: 2:19-24
4) Christ's manner revealed in Epaphroditus: 2:25-30
5) Christ's manner revealed in them in the past: 1:3-5,7; 2:12; 4:15-16,18
6) The Enemies conduct in contrast in Christ: 1:28; 2:21; 3:2, 18-19
III. APPLICATIONS - LESSONS
1. Have the right mind-set:
1) Of standing fast in ome spirit and striving for the faith of the gospel: 1:27-18
2) Of always seeking unity: 2:1-4
a. By having the same love.
b. By being of one accord.
c. By being humble.
d. By putting others before ourselves in our service.
e. By having the attitude of Christ: 2:5
3) Of forsaking our dependence on self and it's glory, and stretching toward the goal in Christ: 3:13-15
4) Of thinking on positive things: 4:8
2. Have the right actions:
1) Always abounding in love: 1:9
2) Seek to proclaim Christ in any situation: 1:15-18
3) Imitate Christ in His worthy life: 1:27
4) Do all things without complaining: 2:14
5) Always rejoice: 2:18; 4:4
6) Put your confidence in Christ: 3:3
3. God is our helper:
1) He will complete the good workers in us: 1:6
2) He works in us, both to will and to work: 2:13
3) He gives us righteousness through Jesus: 3:8-9
4) He is able to raise us up and give us a new body: 3:20-21
5) He empowers us to do all things: 4:13
6) He supplies all our needs: 4:19
4. Giving always benefits the one who gives: 4:15-19
5. Bad situations can be blessings in disguise: 1:12-18
1) For the progress of the gospel: 1:12
2) For the increased boldness of brethren who sees us: 1:14
3) For the proclamation of Christ: 1:18
4) For our rejoicing: 1:18
6. Let your love abound more and more in real knowledge and discernment: 1:9-10
1. True or False: Joy Comes from....
____2) Others preaching Christ with wrong motives
____3) Obeying the law
____4) Beloved brethren
2. What does it mean to "have the mind of Christ?" (2:5)
3. Match the person with his attitude or example:
____1) Timothy a. poured out as a drink offering
____2) Paul b. genuinely concerned for your welfare
____3) Jesus c. close to death for the work of Christ
____4) Epaphroditus d emptied himself
____5) Philippians e. you alone shared with me
4. List four (4) attitudes or mind-sets we should have, and explain them in your own words:
5. Finish these sentences:
1) A life worthy of the gospel is.......
2) Rejoice in the Lord always because ........
3) You can know I regard you as more important than myself because............
4) I am confident because ...........
6. What was Paul's source for contentment? (Philippians 4:11-13)
7. Are you able to be content when you have little and when you have much? Why?