1. Author - Solomon: 1:1; 12; 7:27; 12:8-10
2. Date - about 935 B.C., late in Solomon's life
3. Setting - The king in Jerusalem surveys his life and then gives his conclusion about the true purpose of life.
II. PURPOSE OF THE BOOK
1. Key Verses: 1:3; 2:24; 12:13-14
2. Theme: Life under the sun, that is life on this earth, is full of vanity because the things of this world are not eternal: therefore, we need to live wisely in this world. We should fear God and keep His commandments.
1) Our toil and striving after the things of this world are vain (useless): 1:21 - 6:12
a. All the works that are done under the sun are vanity: 1:14-15
b. Even the gaining of wisdom produces sorrow: 1:16-18
c. Striving after pleasure is vanity: 2: 1-23
d. Hard work for selfish purposes is vanity: 4:4-8
e. Wealth is vanity: 5:13-17; 6:1-2
f. Life without goodness is vanity: 6:3-6
2) How to live in this world: 7:1 - 12:8
a. Live wisely: 7:11-14
b. Submit to authority: 8:1-8
c. Seek to understand God's judgments: 8:10 - 9:6
d. Enjoy life as you have opportunity: 9:7-10
e. Allow wisdom to cause you to be generous: 11:1-2
f. Heed the advice to the young: 11:9 -12:8
3) Conclusion: "Fear God and keep His commandments": 7:18; 11:9 12:13-14
III. ABOUT THE MESSIAH
1. Need for a savior - 7:20
2. Words of wisdom are like well-driven nails, given by "One Shepherd." - 12:11
3. God has put serenity in the hearts of men - 3:11. Through Adam we have our fleshly existence, but through Christ we
have spiritual life - Romans 5:12-21 uselessness of seeking the things of this earth. Through Christ we can see the
fruitfulness of seeking "the things that are above, where Christ is..." (Col.3:1-4)
IV. APPLICATIONS - LESSONS
1. Life based on the things of this earth is vain
1) We can not know the future: 6:12
2) There is no satisfaction in worldly goods: 5:10-11
3) Death ends our control of things on this earth: 2:15-23
4) Wealth with the opportunity to enjoy it is a gift from God: 5:18-20
2. God is the source of every good gift
1) Contentment is God's gift: 2:24-25
2) God's purpose for us is good and beautiful: 3:10-13
3) God's gifts are eternal: 3:14
4) God has a purpose for adversity: 7:14
True or False
1. _____ Since life in this world is full of vanity, it doesn't mater what we do in this life.
2. _____ Wisdom is the greatest thing man can get.
3. _____ Man can completely understand the work that is done under the sun.
4. _____ Worldly goods will give us satisfaction in this life.
Fill in the blanks
5. Life on this earth is vain because the things of this world are not ____________________.
6. Live joyfully with the ______________ who you __________ all the days of your ________________________.
7. In chapter 7:20 Solomon says that all men are __________________.
8. Whatever God does, it shall be _____________ , __________________ can be added to it, and _______________________ taken
from it. (3:14)
9. The whole duty of man is to _____________ God and ___________ His _______________.
10. Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your ________________________.