THE FRUIT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
There are Christians that want to be filled with the Holy Spirit but think that they are not. To be sure of the Spirit's
presence in their lives, they wait for a spectacular manifestation of the Spirit or something very different from their
previous experiences. Nevertheless, the Bible doesn't teach such ideas. Instead the Bible teaches us that one knows
of the presence of the Holy Spirit in the Christian's life by means of the fruit (character) that is manifested.
1. What is the fruit of the Holy Spirit?
The fruit of the Holy Spirit is virtues (graces) that influence the character of the Christian. In order to live the life that
God wants us, His sons, to live, He didn't leave us alone, with only our own abilities, but rather gave us His Spirit to
produce fruit (manifest itself) in our lives.
a. The internal character
1. Love - this is an unselfish love like that found in Jesus Christ - 1 Cor 13:1-8
2. Joy - this is a happiness or contentment that lasts even when there are reasons to feel sad - 2 Cor 6:10;
Phil 4:4; Heb 10:34
3. Peace - this is a tranquillity of spirit that doesn't change as circumstances alter - Phil 4:7,9
b. The character as expressed toward men (outwardly)
1. Patience - this is not getting upset or angry when one thinks he has a reason to do so or when someone "does
you wrong" - 1 Pet 2:20
2. Kindness - this is a kind attitude expressed toward other people; it is not a weakness of conviction or character
3. Goodness - this is doing (and being) good to other people, as the example God has given us Gentleness - this
is not having a higher opinion of oneself than one should; not getting angrily easily; it is seen in our relationships
with others - Mt 11:29; Col 3:12
c. The character in its relationship to God
1. Faith - here the idea is faithfulness to the Lord and in what one does for Him - Lk 8:15
2. Self-control - this is personal discipline or control in all aspects of one's life, especially with regard to sexual
passions - Mt 4:1-11; 1 Cor 10:13
The manifestations of the Holy Spirit are known as the fruit of the Spirit. If one is a true Christian, he has received the
Holy Spirit and for that reason the fruit of the Spirit should be seen in his life. It would be difficult to recognize someone
as a Christian if these manifestations were not found in his life since these are foundational characteristics of a life directed
by the Spirit.
Memory Verses: Gal 5:22-23
1. T F The presence of the Holy Spirit is recognized by one's having miraculous gifts.
2. T F The fruit of the Spirit is seen in the character of the Christian.
3. T F Since it comes from the Holy Spirit, the fruit of the Spirit is manifested in the Christian without the Christian
having to do anything, with no effort on the part of the Christian.
4. What are the 9 manifestations of the fruit of the Holy Spirit?
5. Which of the manifestations of the Holy Spirit, fruit, is most lacking in your life? What are you going to do so that this
characteristic is more present in your life?
Lesson 9 - Chart
The Fruit Of The Holy Spirit
The Fruit The Fruit Explained
Love - Selfless love; the love of God as seen in the life of Jesus - Rom 5:5; 1 Cor 13
Joy - A contentment that lasts even when there is reason for sadness - compare to Rom 5:11
Peace - This is a tranquillity of Spirit that does not change according to external circumstances; it is in relation to God and others
Patience - Includes perseverance and not becoming upset or angered when one thinks he is right or being mistreated
Kindness - This is a desire to do good toward other people; it does not reflect a weakness of conviction or character
Goodness - Is being good and generous with others, like the example God has given us
Faithfulness - This is the idea of faithfulness toward the Lord and in what one does for Him
Gentleness - Does not easily become angry; this is seen in one's relationships with others
Self-control - This is self-control, particularly in sexual passions