HOLDING FORTH THE WORD OF LIFE
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Philippians 2:16 - A life worthy of the Gospel exhibits or displays the Word of Life,
the Word of Life being:
a. Jesus himself, The Word of Life - John 1:1-4, 14, 18; 1 John 1:1-3
b. The message from Jesus - John 6:63, 68, 20:30-31
c. The Gospel of salvation - Romans 1:16-17
d. The life of Christ in us - Romans 6:3-4; Galatians 2:20
2. 1 Thessalonians 1:5 - This life involves words, power, the Holy Spirit, full
conviction and action.
II. MAIN THEME - There are many ways to hold forth the word of life, each of which
is a worthy task.
1. We can look to Jesus to see best how to display the word of life, since he displayed
the glory of God.
a. Jesus told, (preach, proclaim) what he'd seen the Father doing - John 5:19.
b. Jesus demonstrated (lived, set an example) what he'd seen the Father doing -
c. Jesus got physically and emotionally involved with people - John 4:7-10,17-26,
2. Holding forth the word of life is a worthy task.
a. People are reconciled to God - 2 Corinthians 5:18-20.
b. We are used as lights of life in a dark, dying world - Philippians 2:15.
c. Others rejoice in our work - Philippians 2:16-18.
d. God is glorified - 2 Corinthians 4:13-15.
1. Proclaim with words the Gospel of Jesus - Mark 16:15; 2 Timothy 4:1-2.
2. Show the light of Jesus through sacrificial living - 2 Corinthians 4:5-14;
1 Peter 2:9-10.
3. Walk as children of light as defined by - Ephesians 5:8-20.
4. Walk worthy of our calling - Ephesians 4:1-3,17-24; 1 Thessalonians 2:9-10.
5. Keep obeying, working and letting God work so you are God's light, exhibiting
Christ's life, not your own human desires- Philippians 2:12-16.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - Philippians 2:16