DO NOT MURMUR OR ARGUE
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Philippians 2:14 - To murmur or to argue is to live a life unworthy of the Gospel.
a. To murmur is to mutter, grumble, say anything in a low tone.
b. To argue is to strongly question or dispute.
2. Philippians 2:15 - Not murmuring or arguing indicates spiritual maturity, a
closeness to God leading to blamelessness.
3. Philippians 2:15 - As you speak in godly ways your lives will shine as bright lights.
4. Matthew 15:19-20 - The problem is in the heart.
5. Numbers 16:1-3, 8-11, 28-30, 17:8-10 - Murmuring is so bad because it is ultimately
complaining to others against God.
6. Because murmuring and arguing are so wrong, they are also condemned by:
a. Jesus - John 6:43.
b. Paul - 1 Corinthians 10:5-11, 1 Timothy 2:8.
c. Peter - 1 Peter 4:8-11.
d. Jude - Jude 14-16.
7. Psalm 22, especially :1-4,19-24 - It is all right to speak honestly with God.
II. MAIN THEME - Since grumbling and arguing happens when we don't get what we
want, like or feel we deserve; it can occur:
1. When we lack physical needs - Exodus 15:22-26, 17:2-7.
2. Over leadership jealousy - Numbers 16; Luke 9:46.
3. When others are blessed - Matthew 20:11-15.
4. When we do not understand teaching - John 6:41-43,61.
5. When afraid to speak out loud - John 7:25-27, 31-32.
6. Over neglect or partiality - Acts 6:1-5.
7. Over differing opinions - Romans 14:1-13.
1. Talk honestly with God, He will send someone to strengthen you - Luke 22:39-43.
2. Remember the lessons of 1 Corinthians 10:1-14.
a. Punishment if you make murmuring a habit - :10-12.
b. When tempted to complain, look for the escape our faithful God gives - :13.
c. Endure or flee the situation - :13-14.
3. Remember the lessons of Philippians 2:12-15.
a. You've been saved by God, why complain or argue over "little" things - :12.
b. Expect God working in you to give you godly speech - :13.
c. Let thoughts of the glorious future soften the pain or frustration of the present
situation - :15.
4. Rejoice and pray with thanksgiving - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.
5. Get with encouraging, positive-speaking people - Hebrews 3:12-13.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - Philippians 2:14