I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Philippians 2:12, 1:27 - Obedience to God is a worthy way of life.
2. Genesis 22:1-19; Hebrews 11:17-19 - Obedience demonstrates faith in God.
3. Philippians 2:5-7; 2 Corinthians 10:5 - Obedient actions come from having a
mind like Christ's.
4. Hebrews 5:8 - Obedience is a learned trait, not something a few inherit.
5. Joshua 24:14-18 - Only a wise, loving God (and His servants) is worth obeying.
II. MAIN THEME - We can learn lots about obedience from Jesus. He taught
1. The right attitude towards obedience:
a. It was work, but useful, and for good - Matthew 11:28-30.
b. He wouldn't be asked to do anything impossible - Matthew 19:11-12,25-26.
c. It gave strength - John 4:34.
d. Obey in order to point people to God, not for personal glory - John 5:36,41-44.
2. Obedience involves more than obeying only God. Jesus obeyed, and taught people
a. The Scriptures, as he had them - Matthew 5:17-20.
b. The laws of the land - Matthew 5:41.
c. Elders - Matthew 23:1-3.
d. Parents - Luke 2:51.
3. To obey in all situations and circumstances:
a. When directly tempted by Satan - Matthew 4:1-11.
b. When he didn't want to - Matthew 26:38-39.
c. When emotionally upset - Mark 3:4-5; John 11:35,38-44.
d. When physically weak - John 4:4-6.
e. When it cost him everything - Mark 15:34-37.
1. We should obey when the commands don't make sense - Luke 5:4-5.
2. We should obey even if the consequences include suffering - Hebrews 2:10, 5:8-9.
3. Obey even when alone - Philippians 2:12.
4. Obey even when you don't want to - Luke 23:39-46.
5. God gloriously blesses obedience, in the end! - Philippians 2:9-11.
IV. MEMORY VERSE - Philippians 2:8