MAKE ME A SERVANT
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Philippians 1:22-27 - Serving people is a lifestyle worthy of the Gospel.
2. Philippians 2:5-8 - Becoming a servant is an ongoing process.
3. Philippians 2:5-6 - A servant has begun to have the mind of Christ and to empty himself.
4. Philippians 2:5-11- Servanthood is honourable; God became one and honored one.
5. Matthew 10:24-25 - Jesus can teach us to be godly servants.
II. MAIN THEME - Jesus, the perfect servant, can teach us all about serving people.
1. Jesus knew his purpose was to serve people - Matthew 20:28.
2. As a servant, Jesus provided service that was needed:
a. Wedding needs - John 2:1-11.
b. Teaching needs - John 3:1-8.
c. Spiritual needs - John 4:7-26
d. Health needs - John 5:1-9.
e. Relationship needs - John 15:9-17, 19:26-27.
3. He served all people:
a. Close friends - Luke 5:4-7.
b. Non-Jews - Luke 7:2-10.
c. Prostitutes - Luke 7:36-50.
d. His denier - Luke 22:31-32.
e. His murderers - Luke 23:34.
4. He served in all circumstances and places:
a. In homes - Mark 1:29-34.
b. At "church" - Mark 3:1-6.
c. Outdoors - Mark 4:1-2.
d. On holidays - Mark 6:31-44.
e. After death - Hebrews 7:23-25.
5. His motivation - He served because:
a. He was created, sent, and given the Holy Spirit to serve - Luke 4:14-21.
b. He saw his Father working for people - John 5:16-17.
c. The people desperately needed serving - throughout the four gospels.
d. He knew the Father blesses servants - John 13:17; Philippians 2:9-11.
e. He did not serve to gain money, popularity, or power - Matthew 6:1,2,5,16.
1. See Jesus in the people you serve - Matthew 25:40.
2. When you get tired of serving, reconnect with God in prayer - Mark 6:31-46.
3. Serve your neighbor as you come upon the need - Luke 10:25-37.
4. Be encouraged, serving people will increase your faith - Luke 17:5-10.
5. Watch and imitate Jesus; you will mature as a servant - 2 Corinthians 3:18.
6. When it gets painful to serve, remember the future - Philippians 2:9-11.
IV. MEMORY VERSES - Matthew 20:36-38