ENEMIES OF THE CROSS
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Philippians 3:18 - What happened at the cross creates enemies of the cross.
2. John 3:14-21 - They become enemies because the light of the cross exposes
3. John 12:32-33 - .The cross can also attract and create friends of the cross
4. 1 Corinthians 1:18-25 - People become enemies because they are looking for
power and wisdom for themselves.
5. Acts 9:1-19 - Even enemies of the cross can be honestly seeking God, and He can
II. MAIN THEME - Enemies and friends of the cross live in observably different ways.
1. Enemies of the cross can be identified by:
a. Appetites that control them so strongly they become "gods" - Philippians 3:19.
b. Glorying in shameful things - Philippians 3:19, ie evil doers - 3:2.
c. Minds set on earthly things - Philippians 3:19; Ephesians 4:30-32, 5:3-10.
d. Putting confidence in the flesh - Philippians 3:2-3.
e. Being opposed to friends of the cross - Philippians 1:28.
2. Friends of the cross can be identified by:
a. Christ-like attitudes and actions - Philippians 2:5-8.
b. Glorying in Christ Jesus - Philippians 3:3.
c. Minds set on heavenly things - Philippians 3:20-21.
d. Confidence put in Christ - Philippians 3:3-12, not in heritage, reputation,
possessions, and other things of this world.
e. A willingness to suffer the loss of all things - Philippians 3:8-9.
f. A hope in Christ's past, present and future work - Philippians 3:9,12,21, 1:6, 2:13
3. Enemies of the cross can look forward to destruction - Philippians 1:28, 3:19.
4. Friends of the cross can look forward to:
a. Being with Christ, ie being saved - Philippians 1:23, 28.
b. Christ transforming our humble bodies into His glory - Philippians 3:21.
c. Being lights, reflecting Christ's glory - Philippians 2:15.
1. Don't envy the enemy's successes, God will destroy them - Philippians 1:28, 3:19.
2. Don't imitate or fall under their deceptions, but rather live as friends of the cross -
3. Rejoice and give thanks that some of what the enemies of the cross do is good, even
though their motives are evil - Philippians 1:15-18.
4. Put your confidence in, and obey Christ, because of what he has done, is doing,
and will do for his friends - Philippians 1:6,11, 2:7-8, 27, 3:9-12, 21, 4:5-7,13, 23.
5. Don't hate the enemies of the cross, pray for them - Luke 23:34.
6. Be alert, the enemies may come:
a. From within the church - Acts 20:28-32.
b. From outside the church disguised as messengers of light - 2 Corinthians 11:13-15
IV. MEMORY VERSES - Philippians 3:18-19