I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Philippians 1:27, 2:2 - Living a life worthy of the Gospel demands being and
remaining united with other Christians.
2. Philippians 1:27-2:2 - Unity, like a diamond, is multi-faceted. It includes:
a. Standing together in one Spirit when opposed.
b. Striving or working together.
c. Having the same mindset.
d. Having the same love for one another.
e. Being one in soul.
f. Having one focus.
3. Philippians 2:2 - Being united is worthy of the gospel because:
a. It completes our brethren's joy.
b. It helps the world believe God sent Jesus - John 17:21.
c. It helps the world know God loves them - John 17:23.
4. Ephesians 4:1-3 - The Holy Spirit makes Christians one. Then we have the
responsibility to diligently watch over and preserve that unity.
II. MAIN THEME- The relationships Jesus had with His disciples set an example for the unity we are to have in the church.
1. Standing in one spirit when opposed - John 17:9-16.
2. Striving or working together - John 6:4-14.
3. Having the same mindset - Matthew 16:23.
4. Having the same love for one another - John 13:1-17.
5. Being one in soul - Matthew 23:37.
6. Having one focus - John 21:15-17.
7. From the Holy Spirit - John 20:19-23; 1 Corinthians 12:12-26.
8. Guided by the Word of God - 2 Peter 1:2-3.
1. Read and reflect on all the different ways God has made you one with your
brethren - Philippians 4:8; Ephesians 2:11-22, 4:1-6
2. Examine the life of Christ and others to see how they maintained unity -
1 Corinthians 10:32-11:1
3. Diligently pursue and live the aspects of unity described above - James 1:22-25
4. Take joy in knowing what you lovingly do for unity is worthy, because it shines a
light on God and his love for the lost - John 17:20-23
5. If you experience a weakening desire or loss of unity, refocus on "encouragement in
Christ, consolation of love..." These things are the foundation of unity - Phil 2:1
6. "A house divided against itself cannot stand", Mark 3:25, so involve the Lord in
"building the house." - Psalm 127
IV. MEMORY VERSE - Ephesians 4:1-3