WARNING WITH TRUTH
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. I Tim 4:1-5- False doctrine is corrected by teaching the truth.
2. II Tim 3:1-13- Manner of life reveals false teachers and faithful workers.
3. II Tim 4:1-5- Even though men desire another message, preach the word.
4. Titus 3:1-11- Warn a factious man and avoid foolish disputes about the law.
II. MAIN THEME- We are to warn false teachers with God's word, not with our own opinions and arguments about the law. Just as Jesus rebuked Satan with God's word, we can oppose every false thing with what God has revealed to us in the bible. We must be careful not to stand on our own wisdom or logic, but simply teach God's word.
1. False teachers are always a problem.
a. We need to be prepared to face false teachers, Acts 20:28-32; 1 Tim 4:1-3.
b. They disguise themselves, 2 Cor 11:13-15; 2 Tim 3:5; 2 Pet 2:1-3.
c. They are selfish and motivated by fleshly desires, 2 Tim 3:2-7; 4:3-4.
2. Our faith in God through Jesus Christ will guard against false teachers.
a. Because we teach God's word, 1 Tim 4:11; 5:7; 6:2, 17; 2 Tim 2:14;
Titus 1:13; 2:1, 15; 3:8; Mat 4:3-11.
b. Because we trust God's power, 1 Tim 4:12-16; 2 Tim 1:7-8; 2:24-26;
Titus 2:15; 1 Cor 2:1-5.
c. Because we obey His commands, 1 Tim 4:6; 2 Tim 3:14-17; Titus 2:1-8.
d. Because we want to give instead of receive, Acts 20:33-35.
3. Warn false teachers.
a. Admonish the factious man before avoiding him, Titus 3:10-11.
b. Our desire should be to save the sinner, Jude 17-23; Gal 6:1-3.
c. Avoid useless arguments, 1 Tim 6:3-5; 2 Tim 2:14-16; Titus 3:9-11.
4. Remember that God's grace makes our service possible.
a. We have not earned our salvation, Titus 3:1-8; Eph 2:4-10.
b. We are created in Jesus Christ for good works, Titus 2:11-15.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. Be careful and gentle in your approach to people who need correcting, because
they may be honestly wrong, Acts 18:24-27; Mat 7:1-2.
2. Correct false teaching by teaching what is good, and be careful to avoid useless
arguments, 1 Tim 4:1-7;Titus 3:9.
3. Work faithfully and live a pure life so that your ministry will be completed,
1 Tim 4:3-5; 2 Tim 2:21-23.
4. Do not be afraid to suffer as the result of warning about false teachers, but
remember how Jesus suffered for us, 2 Tim 3:12; 1 Pet 3:14-17.
5. Remember false teachers will be made evident to all, 2 Tim 3:9.
IV. MEMORY VERSES- 2 TIMOTHY 4:2, 5.