APPOINTING LOCAL LEADERS
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Titus 1:5- Paul commands Titus to appoint elders in every city.
2. 1 Timothy 3:1-13- Paul describes the kind of leaders to be appointed.
3. 1 Timothy 5:17-20- Elders are to be respected.
4. Titus 1:6-9- Elders must be able to teach the word faithfully.
II. MAIN THEME- The church needs local leaders who will lead the church faithfully with God's word. The evangelist has the responsibility to teach and appoint leaders in every local church where he has teaching opportunity.
1. God intends for the church to be lead by mature men, Titus 1:5; 1 Tim 3:1;
2. God has given the evangelist the responsibility for establishing leadership in the
churches, Titus 1:5; Acts 14:21-23; Eph 4:11-12.
3. Elders are to be men of good qualities and character.
a. They should desire the work of service, 1 Tim 3:1; 1 Pet 5:2.
b. They should be men of good reputation, 1 Tim 3:2-3, 7; Titus 1:7-8.
c. They should be proven leaders, 1 Tim 3:4-6; Titus 1:6.
d. They should be faithful and apt teachers of God's word, Titus 1:9;
1 Tim 3:2, 6.
e. They should be active in good works, Titus 1:8; 2:14; 1 Tim 3:2.
4. Elders are not to be selfish or to rule harshly, Titus 1:7; 1 Pet 5:1-4.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. How can the evangelist find men to be leaders in the church?
a. Involve the church in the selection process, 1 Tim 3:2, 7.
b. Teach and train men for the work, 2 Tim 2:2; Titus 1:5.
c. Look for those who have the desire to serve, 1 Tim 3:1; 1 Pet 5:2.
d. Look for those who are gentle and active in good works, Titus 1:6-9.
2. Remember that Jesus is head of the church, and we are not appointing men to be
head of the church, but men who are to serve the church, 1 Tim 3:1; Titus 1:7.
3. Remember that love makes unity possible, so appoint leaders who love God and
love God's people, Titus 1:8; 1 Tim 3:2; Rom 13:8-10; Eph 4:1-3.
4. Do not try to change God's plan for leadership in the church, for the church
is not a democracy to be run by majority vote, Titus 1:5; Eph 4:11-16.
IV. MEMORY VERSE- TITUS 1:5.