Grace In The Christian Family
I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Titus 3:3-7 Grace includes the gifts of forgiveness and acceptance given to undeserving people.
2. Tit 2:11-14 Grace teaches us how to live in this world.
3. 2 Pet 3:18 We can grow more in Jesus gracious way of living.
4. Luk 15:11-32 The parable of the loving father exemplifies grace.
II. MAIN THEME The family needs grace between family members in order to function in a kind and loving way. Grace is a lifestyle from God, based in imitating Jesus way of thinking and forgiving.
1. Grace enables the Christian family to live quiet and peaceful lives.
a. Grace causes us to accept one another without unreasonable expectations, Luk 7:36-50, Rom 15:1-7,
b. Grace causes us to forgive each other unconditionally, Eph 1:7-8, 4:2, Mat 6:12-15.
c. Grace encourages us to live godly lives, Mat 19:16-21, Tit 2:11-14, Deut 6:4-9, 1 Pet 3:1-4.
d. Grace causes us to depend on God in every situation, Rom 4:4-5, 18-22; 2 Cor 12:710.
2. Grace produces good fruit in the Christian family life.
a. Grace causes joy, Rom 5:1-5.
b. Grace causes freedom, Gal 5:1, 15.
c. Grace causes unity in spite of differences, Rom 12:3-8, Gal 3:26-29.
d. Grace causes intimacy in the family, Gal 4:1-7, 1 Cor 7:1-5.
III. PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS
1. Grace calls for openness with God and with one another, Col 4:6. Talk and share your joys and struggles with each other, 1 Cor 12:21-26.
2. Do not neglect family relationships. Grace begins at home, 1 Tim 5:4, Rom 12:10.
3. React in the right way to mistakes between family members, Rom 5:1-6. Grace can cause the worst situation to develop into something good, 1 Cor 15:9-10, 2 Cor 12:9.
4. The welcome by the father to the returning prodigal son is a great illustration of grace working in the Christian family, Luk 15:11-32.
5. Grace is to be developed in our lives, 2 Pet 3:18. This takes work on our part, depending on the grace of God for strength, Eph 5:14-17, Gal 5:13, Php 2:12-16.
IV. MEMORY VERSE 2 Pet 3:18.