I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. John 1:1-3,14 - The Word is God and became a human being.
2. Hebrews 1:1-4 - God speaks through His son (the Word).
3. 1 John 1:1-4 - He is the Word of Life, witnessed by many.
4. Genesis 1 - God created all things through His word.
II. MAIN THEME - Jesus is described as the Word. Before he came to earth in human form, he existed as the Word of God.
After he was clothed in human flesh, he acted as the word (message) about God to man. Jesus always was, is, and will be the
1. The Word of God before time.
a. He created all things - Genesis 1; John 1:3; Heb. 1:2; Colossians 1:16
b. He was with God and He was God - John 1:1; Gen. 1:26; Col. 2:9
c. He was and is the source of life - Deut. 8:3; 1 John 1:1-2; Heb. 1:3
2. The Word of God became a human being - in the life of Jesus.
a. God came in human form - John 1:1,14; Philippians 2:5-8; 1 John 1:1
b. He came to reveal God - John 1:18; Heb. 1:3; Col. 1:15; 2:10
c. He came to understand man - Heb. 2:14-18; 4:14-16; John 2:25
3. The Word of God has a continuing affect on humans.
a. The Word is living and active - Heb. 4:12-13; Luke 9:47;
b. As we know God in Christ, we are fulfilled - Col. 2:9-10; John 17:3
c. His words remain in a powerful form - John 12:48; Rom. 10:17
1. Jesus, as the Word, can have several meanings: John 1:1-3,14
a. Jesus is God's message to mankind - a message in human form!
b. Words are the symbolic images that create understanding - hence, Jesus is God's way of providing revelation to
c. Words endure, whether written or not - Jesus is the beginning and end!
2. Jesus is called the Word of Life - His life is a message about how we can also receive a fulfilling and eternal life.
1 John 1:1-4; John 10:10
3. Because Jesus was the Word of God, his message was awesome, causing many to realize the source of his words –
Matt. 7:28-29; John 12:49-50
4. Jesus is the last message from God - Heb. 1:1-2
IV. MEMORY VERSE: John 1:1,14