I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Isaiah 28:16 - Jesus is prophesied to be a precious cornerstone.
2. Psalm 118:22-23 - The precious stone will be rejected by the builders.
3. 1 Corinthians 3:11 - Jesus is the foundation of all of God's work.
4. 1 Peter 2:4-8 - Jesus is called a stone of stumbling to those who disobey him.
II. MAIN THEME - Foundation means the supporting part of a building which holds up the walls and roof. It is laid at the base
of the building site. Jesus is the foundation for all of God's work with people. God's plan for building a holy people is supported
by all that Jesus has done. He was in the beginning and he will be solid in the end.
1. Jesus was in the beginning and helped establish the plan of God for mankind.
a. He laid the foundation of the earth - Heb. 1:10; Col. 1:16-18
b. He created man and woman - Gen. 1:26; John 1:1-3
c. He laid out the plan of God to save - 1 Pet. 1:10-12;
2. Jesus is the foundation of God's holy house - the called out people.
a. He is the chief cornerstone - Eph. 2:19-22
b. He was rejected by men, but chosen by God - 1 Pet. 2:4-6
c. He is the only foundation to build upon - 1 Cor. 3:10-15
3. Practically, Jesus' role as foundation is fulfilled by:
a. His faith in the Father - Rom. 3:21-26; Phil. 3:7-9
b. His death, burial, and resurrection - 1 Cor. 15:1-8
c. The preaching of this gospel message - 1 Cor. 1:18-25
d. We could not hope for or expect salvation without Jesus - Titus 3:3-7
4. Many have rejected Jesus as the foundation stone - they have stumbled over him or his teachings - John 1:9-11; 6:53-66;
1 Pet. 2:7-8;
1. A church built on anything other than Jesus will crumble and fall.
a. Money - 1 Tim. 6:3-10, 17-19
b. Human pride - 1 Cor. 1:26-31; 2:2-5; 3:18-23
c. Racial differences - Eph. 2:11-22
d. An attitude of law-keeping - Gal. 2:15-21; 3:1-5,13; 5:4
2. We are living stones within the spiritual house of God - 1 Pet. 4-6; Rev. 21
3. Today, it is our duty to build up the house of God through our evangelism and Christian service. Let us be careful that we
build using quality materials that will endure and not be burnt up through the trials of life - 1 Cor. 3:10-15.
IV. MEMORY VERSE: 1 Corinthians 3:11