I. TEXTUAL THOUGHTS
1. Psalm 89:26-29 - God prophecies that he will have a son.
2. Luke 1:26-33 - God brings His son into the world through a virgin.
3. Matthew 17:5 - God claims that Jesus is His son (2 Peter 1:16-18).
4. Romans 1:1-4 - Jesus was proven to be God's son by his resurrection.
II. MAIN THEME - As predicted in prophecy, God has a son. Through the fulfillment of prophecy and the events of his life
and death, Jesus was proven to be God's son. Sonship has two meanings: 1) "Son" can mean that a person is the natural
descendant of another; or 2) "Son" can mean that a person has the resemblance of his father. Both apply to Jesus!
1. Prophecy spoke of the Son of God.
a. The Son would be the anointed one of God - Psalm 2:1-9
b. The Son would rule as king and would be God - Isaiah 9:6-7
2. Jesus was proven to be the Son of God.
a. By his birth - Matt. 1:18-25; Luke 1:26-38
b. By God's claim - Matt. 3:16-17; 17:1-8; 2 Peter 1:16-18
c. By his life - John 5:36 (work); 5:21 (power); 20:30-31 (miracles)
d. By his death - Matt. 27:45-54; Rom. 5:8; John 10:17-18
e. By his resurrection - Rom. 1:1-4; Acts 2:22-28; Heb. 12:1-3
3. Jesus resembled his father in many, many ways. Here are only a few:
a. His teachings, words - John 8:28-29;
b. His abilities - John 5:19-23
c. His love - John 3:16
1. Though he was the Son, Jesus became subject to his Father:
a. In his actions - Matt. 3:13-17; John 5:19; John 8:29
b. In his words - John 12:49-50
c. In his will - Heb. 5:7-8; Luke 22:42
2. When we follow Jesus, we become sons of God:
a. Begotten by the word - Rom. 10:14-17; 1 Pet. 1:23; 1 Cor. 4:15
b. Joint heirs with Christ - Rom. 8:14-17; Titus 3:7; Jam. 2:5
3. Sonship means freedom - we are no longer slaves - Galatians 4:1-7; 5:1
IV. MEMORY VERSE: Romans 1:3-4